JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Unsigned bands and artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Album: Spiny Forests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gefflesby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Album: Spiny Forests
    Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm
Hello Jazzmonaughts!

I'm pleased to present a new album by Ed Bear (electroacoustic baritone sax) and Geof Lipman (guitar) called Spiny Forests.  This is exciting new music from two seasoned improvisors at the top of their game,  drawing from traditions of free jazz, 70s era classical avant - garde, and extraterrestrial blues. I hope you will like it.

Edited by gefflesby - 18 Nov 2021 at 6:26am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:47pm
Thanks, I'll check it out.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 12:08pm
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/artist/ed-bear-and-geof-lipman

We added this group to the site. If yopu have a bio you would like us to add, post it in this thread
gefflesby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gefflesby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:40pm
Awesome, thanks!

Not sure if this qualifies as a bio. Just let me know and I can work something up that is more "bio-like" if you prefer:

Personnel:
Ed Bear - Electroacoustic Saxophone
Extends the reach of the saxophone outwards to control the surrounding environment. A complex signal path with mics inside and outside the horn allows him to manipulate and interact with room acoustics, using the sax as a tuned column of air. The sound results are both organic and other-worldly.
Influences: Ecstatic and Wingless - “A suitable teacher for young roller canaries” (Canary Records), All the Coltranes, Keiji Haino, Mats Gustafsson, Borbetomagus.
Ex-Talibam, Ex-TwistyCat

Geof Lipman - Spanish Guitar
Eschews electronic effects, driving musical discovery via traditional and extended techniques. Stylistically unusual and conceptually formalistic, he seeks the middle ground between stasis and chaos -- that point of maximum surprise.
Influences: early Leo Brouwer, Cecil Taylor, Andre Jolivet, Buddy Guy.
Active in the free jazz and avant-garde scenes of Boston in the 80s, and San Francisco in the 90s.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 4:05pm
That works for me. I'll put it on your page. 
 I saw the bit about SF. I live in Memphis now, but I played in the SF acid jazz scene in the 90s. I played a lot of the jazz clubs in SF, Oaktown, Beserkley and the Peninsula.
gefflesby View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gefflesby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:51pm
Oh cool! I can remember a few I played at:

Nightbreak
Ibeam
Beanbenders
Radio Valencia
Hotel Utah (only one still there I think)

But I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 1:03pm
Yes Nightbreak, Hotel Utah and I Beam, also, Cafe Du Nord, Rassaless, Bottom of the Hill, Berkeley Square, People's Park, The Farm, SF Carnaval, The Black Cat and a bunch more I can't remember anymore.
Played with other bands doing post-punk, funk, reggae and Latin rock.

By the way, this is a DIY volunteer site. If you or anyone else feels like writing a review, go for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic