JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Live music

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live music
    Posted: 17 May 2013 at 10:26am
Who have you seen live this year? Jazz, rock, classical, high school bands, etc.

www.FromArmstrongtoZappa.blogspot.com
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 11:23am
Well I just watched all of my students perform at their end of the school year concert. Big smile

We do not get a lot of touring jazz bands in Memphis, they tend to go to Nashville instead. As far as local things go, I'm usually playing on the weekends so it makes it hard to see others.
This summer the city is sponsoring some free concerts in our main city park, and I hope to catch some local RnB/jazz like The City Champs or The Bo Keys, but to answer your question, unfortunately most live music I have seen recently involves bands I'm playing in.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 4:50pm
There's a jazz festival going on right now , the leading names being Richard Galliano and Omar Sosa but I didn't feel like going to see them live.Last jazz live concert seen was Ron Carter's a year ago.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:33pm
Well JS it sounds like you're really busy with your teaching. I can understand being a former teacher.

Also great to hear that Ron Carter is still active. I've never seen him.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:34pm
Have you sen any good shows this year?
FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:18am
Unfortunately I work on the weekend, so I miss many events. I did see the Buzz Jones Quartet, from Gettysburg College. The leader is a music teacher, and some of his students played with the band. This was in March.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:27am
I love little local jazz groups. You get a lot of that in the Dallas/Denton area, what with all the jazz students at North Texas State. 
We used to have one club like that in Memphis, but they closed, but I hear a scene is starting to develop around a new club's jam night.
norenrussell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norenrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 8:06pm

I haven't seen any of the live music jazz's this year as I was busy with my house hold things I missed all of these. But last year I enjoyed this with "Neneh Cherry&The Thing-The Cherry Thing" very much and it is one of my favorites.  

Edited by snobb - 23 Sep 2013 at 11:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic