JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does jazz make you feel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does jazz make you feel?
    Posted: 10 May 2013 at 11:54am
Sometimes when I listen to jazz, it makes me nostalgic. Either for a period of time in my own life, or a period of time I wasn't alive for. Like, sometimes I listen to older jazz albums, and I sometimes wish I was walking around the streets of NYC, at dusk, in the 1950s.

But, jazz almost never makes me sad, if anything, it inspires me, or at least makes me feel better (like the blues), or makes me happy. Even the most painful solo from a sax player ("who hurt this man?") will overwhelm me with good vibes. This music is sometimes best on a rainy day.

Then there's fusion. 70s Miles is like taking a trip through the recesses of your mind, or other worlds. Sometimes, it's the dark depths of the jungle. 80s and 90s fusion sometimes makes me think of walking around a college campus, in the halls of a basement or something like that. Some of that late 90s/2000s fusion reminds me of walks I sometimes take at night.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 1:45pm
I like the music with the syncopated rhythms (jazz, reggae, funk, Afro-Cuban etc) it is an upbeat and positive thing, never dreary or oppressive to me.
As far as mood goes, a rainy Sunday afternoon and some Lester Young is a good way to go.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 11:11am
Thanks for the response js. I was hoping this thread could be a place of great discussion.

I was driving around earlier, and had one of the jazz radio stations on, and I was driving near a farm, it's very sunny out, and the music playing was some 60s post-bop (not sure who it was), and it gave me some great vibes. Could have been my coffee kicking in too....
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 12:10pm
^ oh you know, some people who visit this site are shy about posting Wink    but you can't beat that sunny afternoon vibe. I like to be out on the deck at a small club listening to just a guitarist and sax playing some old tunes. Wish I could have visited the old Lighthouse on the coast in California, they had great afternoon gigs.
Still miss Salsa Sunday afternoons at the El Rio in San Francisco, almost always a sunny afternoon year round, and never too hot like the south.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:31am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Sometimes when I listen to jazz, it makes me nostalgic. Either for a period of time in my own life, or a period of time I wasn't alive for. Like, sometimes I listen to older jazz albums, and I sometimes wish I was walking around the streets of NYC, at dusk, in the 1950s.

But, jazz almost never makes me sad, if anything, it inspires me, or at least makes me feel better (like the blues), or makes me happy. Even the most painful solo from a sax player ("who hurt this man?") will overwhelm me with good vibes. This music is sometimes best on a rainy day.

Then there's fusion. 70s Miles is like taking a trip through the recesses of your mind, or other worlds. Sometimes, it's the dark depths of the jungle. 80s and 90s fusion sometimes makes me think of walking around a college campus, in the halls of a basement or something like that. Some of that late 90s/2000s fusion reminds me of walks I sometimes take at night.
Even if some of these jazz styles are very dated, Jazz does simply not make me feel nostalgic, especially not the one I wasn't around for... How can one be nostalgic of an era he hasn't lived in or remembers. so for me nostalgia of pre-65's jazz is not applicable (born in 63)  
Sure if I listen to some Stachmo, I will think maybe of my childhood when my dad used to play his albums. But I don't link Louis to nostalgia

Now, re: 70's JR/F , I don't feel I'm nostalgic either, since I discovered 95% in the 80's, when I bought Caravanserai in 1980. Actually I kind of rejected anything remotely jazz in the 70's, out of pure  teen- rebel imbecilityEmbarrassed

Jazz does give some other moods though, but partly because of the clichés coming with the genre. Melancholy of late night (between 3 and 4AM) in an almost deserted jazz club (how many clubs are still having bands playing at that time of the night, especially for five clients already too drunk to guzzle more).

Yeah, I guess I can picture pre-Castro Cuba afrro-cuban jazz scene (and its subsequent move to NYC once Castro was in place) from the pics and documentary, even picture myself going to these clubs (for the women, not the musicLOL) >> but is that nostalgia??

As usual, if I like the music (jazz or other genre, even the dark Zuehl/Rio stuff), and I get heavily into it, I will feel happy. the only music able to make me sad is some classical oeuvres (like Schubert's famous tear-jerking string quintet)... but even then the sadness emanating from the music makes me happy

Edited by Sean Trane - 30 May 2013 at 3:35am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 3:39am

Thanks for the response js. I was hoping this thread could be a place of great discussion.

I was driving around earlier, and had one of the jazz radio stations on, and I was driving near a farm, it's very sunny out, and the music playing was some 60s post-bop (not sure who it was), and it gave me some great vibes. Could have been my coffee kicking in too....
I guess i'd missed your post and thread...Embarrassed

However, if there is one thing I don't link to jazz, it's the sun (well maybe Mwandishi and sun Ra), because to me jazz merans night-time music..; not that I don't listen to it in daytime or sunny conditions, but to me, jazz =/= sun
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

EntertheLemming View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:15am
Interesting question (from the OP) but there's a danger that (any) music we love that was created before we were alive becomes tantamount to a misplaced nostalgia for something that never happened in the first place. We've all heard sentiments that include 'the golden age of (whatever)' and every generation is automatically at odds with that preceding, so Robert Smith of the Cure was maybe right:
Tell me who doesn't love, what can never come back?.....
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 7:26am
I don't care about nostalgia, but I do listen to a wide variety of music; past, present and future. From Africa to JS Bach, Ellington and ambient techno, there might be something I want to hear.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 8:22pm
Nostalgia was probably the wrong term. More like "romanticize".
EntertheLemming View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntertheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 8:20am

OK, nostalgia probably implies a shared experience/delusion. It should be borne in mind that so much of the finest music created over the past millennium was realised in spite of the prevailing societal conditions for unfettered artistic expression. I've always thought that in a perfect uncensored political landscape, the resultant music would be bland, anodyne and soulless. Maybe resistance is the source of that tension that has to exist at the heart of all satisfying aesthetic structures for longevity? (Dunno)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by EntertheLemming EntertheLemming wrote:

OK, nostalgia probably implies a shared experience/delusion. It should be borne in mind that so much of the finest music created over the past millennium was realised in spite of the prevailing societal conditions for unfettered artistic expression. I've always thought that in a perfect uncensored political landscape, the resultant music would be bland, anodyne and soulless. Maybe resistance is the source of that tension that has to exist at the heart of all satisfying aesthetic structures for longevity? (Dunno)

good pointClap

I remember in the early days of ProgArchives (nostalgia, maybeWink?) some dude had posted a thread on how great and peaceful and troubleless the 70's were and it reflected on the awesome music of the era. He created quite a raucus, because the international board members had lived a very different 70's that this United Statian had. The planet was in a pretty fucked state during that , and not just because of the cold war... A Peruvian member (let you guess who that was) reminded us of the military juntas that ruled the southern american continent, than all of the nascent terrorism that took place in those years in seemingly stable countries like Canada, Belgium, Germany, UK (then on a permanent danger of collapse) etc... Not to mention the Post-Vietnam trauma, the continuing

And despite these unrests, excellent music happened in those lands like Los Jaivas (ok partly in exile), Univers Zero, Can, Henry Cow (heralding their very communist ideals) nd many more. Not to mention all those great bands running illegally behind the Iron Curtain, who were probably very rightist in their activism as a reaction to their gov't's communist regimes (Plastic People Of The Universe, for ex)

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 9:11am
See, I always thought that such great music came out in the late 60s and 70s because it was such troubled times, and the music reflected that.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 9:31am
Makes me feel pretty damn good!

Often, I find myself using it as a drug for the most part. A mood elevator, or evener perhaps. So it's often Cool Jazz if I want to soothe myself after a sh*tfull day. Or something more uptempo if I'm trying to motivate myself.  Then there's listening simply for pleasure!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
davidrydelnik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrydelnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 2:18am
I just feel an endorphin rush, plain and simple.
Jazz Trumpeter, Vocalist, Trombonist, Guitarist...internet marketer and fitness geek. <a href="http://davidrydelnik.com" _fcksavedurl="http://davidrydelnik.com">
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic