JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 year old Miles Davis Book I Just Discovered.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10 year old Miles Davis Book I Just Discovered.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 year old Miles Davis Book I Just Discovered.
    Posted: 09 May 2013 at 8:19pm
I recently picked up a fantastic Miles Davis book, one of the few I have not read, surprised I missed this one. It is called: (Miles to Go: The Lost Years. An Intimate Memoir of Life on the Road With Miles Davis 1973-1983- By Chris Murphy.)

I was really impressed with the book, the everyman perspective is appreciated and I was surprised at how Author Murphy and My self had some things in common, mostly father issues, Miles really became a father figure to Murphy who was his main roadie and eventually more of a personal assistant.

Since this guy was around all the band members all the time, he has some great stories to tell, he even goes on a tangent about a wild few months away from Miles in the early 70's, while running Country singer David Allen Coe's road crew. One of my favorite moments in the book was his hyperbolas description of Carly Simon during a chance encounter. I would have loved to have judged for my self.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 2:15am
I have that book too, bought when it came out. I forget the Carly Simon bit, I feel like I want to look that up now. A part I do remember was a later tour of Europe during which Cicely Tyson's clothes purchases became more to carry around than the band equipment, ha. I do agree with you about the unpretentious tone of the book, something that can be hard to find in a book or article about Miles.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:46am
I've only had (flood victims)/read a couple - The Autobiography and the one on making Kind Of Blue. Really enjoyed the auto.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic