JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does anyone know jazz in the film The Kill-Off?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone know jazz in the film The Kill-Off?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verney-Elliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone know jazz in the film The Kill-Off?
    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
Does anyone know the title of the jazz musicand the name of the musicians in the Hammond-organ jazz music at 23.52 - 24.54 and at 38.15 - 41.37 in the 1990 film titled The Kill-Off? 

Here is the link where you will hear the jazz Hammond organ music with sax, trumpet, drums:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:56pm
The music is by Evan Lurie, Anders Gaardmano plays saxophone. They list Marc Rabot on guitar, I'm sure they mean Ribot. You can read the other musicians on the link below:

Edited by js - 05 Mar 2021 at 8:59pm
Verney-Elliott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verney-Elliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:21am
That was the musicians on the film soundtrack made specially for the film; I was talking about the 1960s Hammond organ combo with sax and trumpet and drums in the striptease scene as I indicated in the link from YouTube which is not the composer and olayers which you mentioned; please could you kindly play those extracts and let me know who the musicians are and the name of the music; it is effeminately from the 1960s.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verney-Elliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:50am
Please go to the music played at: 23.52 - 24.54 and at 38.15 - 41.37 in the The Kill-Off.

You will hear the jazz Hammond organ music with sax, trumpet, drums here:

This has different musicians and is of an entirely different style; more slezzy and from the 1960s.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:07am
I listened to the soundtrack samples already when you posted them the first time.
I do not think that is an old jazz record, the music is stripper music played in a very exaggerated style. It definitely sounds like something that Evan Lurie and Marc Ribot would perform. Its in that 'lounge lizard' exotica style that they are known for. They are known for imitating older music like that sort of 60s stripper music, or surf music, or tiki lounge music etc. It does not sound like an old record. Jazz musicians don't put out albums of  corny stripper music like that. It was more than likely created for the movie and it is very much like the sort of thing Evan Lurie is known for. 

Edited by js - 06 Mar 2021 at 7:37am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:16am
^ I moved this to the 'I Have a Question' section.

Edited by js - 06 Mar 2021 at 7:17am
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verney-Elliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:58am
Thank you for letting me know about your insights here; however, on repeated listening it does sound like an original jazz group as the style and sound are very much from the 1960s even if you think it is a pastiche/copy of that style; it sounds authentically older to me and also on the credits there is no mention of the Hammond Organ player and does not mention the Hammond Organ on the credits either; which sounds like the Ernie Freeman Combo as heard on 'Organs in Orbit' Ultra Lounge CD. I have been trying to contact all the players and composer of The Kil-Off but cannot get hold of them.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:12am
^ They don't list the specific instruments of the listed musicians, but later I will google some of them and see what comes up.
If this is an older record, than it is probably one of those kitsch 'strip for your husband' type records that was popular in the 60s, or some sort of exotic lounge record like the artists on the "Organs in Orbit" comp which I used to own.
I have listened to thousands of 60s jazz records over the years and jazz musicians don't put out campy records like this unless it is a soundtrack, or a strip record or some sort of exotic novelty. I still think it sounds exactly like the sort of thing Evan Lurie is known for and its why they hired him to do the music.

Edited by js - 06 Mar 2021 at 10:15am
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verney-Elliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:22am
Thank you for your response; I checked and looked at the end film credits subtitles and they did list the instruments but not the Hammond Organ which is why I suspect it was diffenet players and the film director of The Kill-Off  - Maggie Greenwald - told me some years ago she didn't remember who the jazz musicians of the striptease music were...she kust said it was taken from an old record...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:30am
If she said that then maybe it is an old record. I would look at old strip records and lounge exotica rather than jazz records though.

I'm well versed in 60s Hammond jazz records. That is what kind of music my own jazz group plays. i play a digital Hammond and I learned everything from records by Jimmy Smith, jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, Brian Auger, Groove Holmes etc. I can't imagine any of those guys doing an album like this.

By the way, at 38:54 they show an album cover that says something like Top Hits and a record on the turntable on the RCA label. It may just be a prop though and not the actual record.
Just listened again, its stripper music and a lot of times those records don't credit the musicians.

Edited by js - 06 Mar 2021 at 11:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic