JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pharoah Sanders, my favorite saxphonist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskypesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pharoah Sanders, my favorite saxphonist
    Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:47pm
i've never understood why he's not more well-known and respected. maybe because he never escaped Coltrane's shadow.

but in any case, he is without a doubt my favorite sax player. there are many i love. Coltrane, of course. Joe Henderson. Gary Bartz. Charlie Parker. etc et etc But no one has ever touched me with his playing the way Pharoah has, time and time again. Something about his tone and phrasing just perfectly meshes with my soul.

http://www.pharoahsanders.net/

Edited by peskypesky - 18 Apr 2011 at 4:48pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:50pm
Indeed Paul. He has groovy/funk playing.

Edited by Prog Geo - 18 Apr 2011 at 4:50pm
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
He may not be my absolute favorite, but I've definitely enjoyed just about everything I've heard from him.  
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:34pm
He's incredible.

I've heard most of his 60s/70s releases, and most of them are exquisite. Favorites being Karma, Thembi and Elevation.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:11pm
I just ordered two of his albums, Karma and Jewels of Thought.  I've listened to Karma on Grooveshark and it basically blew my mind, listened to a sample of Jewels at home over the weekend and it did the same.  I'm excited.  Big smile
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

I just ordered two of his albums, Karma and Jewels of Thought.  I've listened to Karma on Grooveshark and it basically blew my mind, listened to a sample of Jewels at home over the weekend and it did the same.  I'm excited.  Big smile

ClapClapClapClapClap
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:50am
He's playing here in a week, but I don't think I'll go...
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:39am
Another one I have to listen to eventually.

Zarathustra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarathustra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:03am
Agreed, amazing player and consistently so, throughout his career. Another "great" who never really got his due was Frank Morgan.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 7:41am

Those are the two I have... And I think they're amongst the most accessible.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Indeed they are, also Thembi is pretty accessible with shorter compositions.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 4:10pm
^^^

Thanks for the tip... I shall indulge next week

I hear Black Unity is also highly regarded
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:47pm
Yep, I'd vouch for Black Unity, its pretty free but not as hard listening as one would expect, with many thanks to a groovin' rhythm section which holds it together perfectly. Some of the complaints I've heard about the album are the synth sounds, but I guess that's not a problem for the peep's here. 

Going back to one of his earlier albums; Tauhid, the first track 'Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt' is one of my favourites out of his overture; his raw mysticism at its best. Too bad about the filler track 'Japan', one of those attempts at traditional integration, which falls well short of the mark. Live at the East is another one which gets overlooked, with Stanley Clark on bass (he plays on Black Unity too).    

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Indeed they are, also Thembi is pretty accessible with shorter compositions.

Well I'm going to have to take back what I said about Jewels Of Thought.... That second track is simply unlistenable

I'll create a topic about this one of these days...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:48am
  OK, I re-listened to the early Pharoah this week, andI must say that uit was well needed, because I had in mind a lot of dissonant improv of free jazz (there is some of it, but not as much as I remembered it)....

Sooo Tauhid, Thembi, Summum are all rather good albums where the Coltrane (Alice more than John) heritage is still the main influence)

Karma and JoT are plagued with some more dissonant stuff... usually the later track on the album, and the other tracks are religious mumbo-jumbo.... overall in his early solo carreer, I find these two albums the least interesting.

However I find that Black Unity is is my fave so far, even if it has only one track, but what an epic track.... awesome!!!Clap

i'll listen to stuff from 72-75 next week

chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:04am
For me, he was the head turner on the Ascension album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 4:24pm
How awesome this forum is turning out to be.  I certainly don't have to search hard for names that I love.  Pharoah Sanders is great.  I actually only own a few albums by him, Tuahid, Karma, Thembi and Black Unity, and love them all, but I have heard more of his music than that.  Black Unity was the first of his I got -- great album.  I really need to get more of his, Deaf Dumb Blind and Jewels of Thought have both been on my wish list for a long time as I really like what I know of them.
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

How awesome this forum is turning out to be.

Slowly but surely Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

How awesome this forum is turning out to be.

Slowly but surely Wink

Rather too slowly to be surely, perhaps. Wink
"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple" (Charles Mingus).
wideopenears View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopenears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:00pm
I've had Karma for decades, always dug it but somehow didn't check out more stuff.  Then, maybe a decade ago, I saw Pharoah with Zakir Husain and Ustad Sultan Khan and just loved that show to death.  I don't have any of his more recent releases, though--I have the classics.   Anyone recommend something newer?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic