JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member; Piano Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonnyBr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member; Piano Jazz
    Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 9:11am
Hello everyone. New member Sonny here. I'm interested in learning more about stride pianists. Any recommendations on where to start?  I believe Dick Hyman recorded at least one LP consisting entirely of stride-style playing. What's it called, and is it worth a listen? 

By way of background: My father was a pianist. I grew up listening to him play standards of the 1930s and 1940s: Star Dust, Deep Purple, Misty, and a bit of the ol' boogie woogie. I'm familiar with the work of Garner, Tatum, Powell, Carle and Cole. I also love the organ/guitar combos that used to be so popular, especially Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, Grant Green, Jimmy McGriff and the like.

Regards,
SonnBr
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:29am
Hi Sonny, welcome to the site. When I get a few minutes I will help you out with the stride piano questions.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:23pm
Dick Hyman has several stride albums, here is a cut from one:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:25pm
Here is our section on stride piano:

SonnyBr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SonnyBr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 6:38am
Thanks for the quick response. This sounds like a good place to start. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic