JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cecil Taylor Recs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cecil Taylor Recs
    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:47pm
Listened to Cecil Taylor's Akisakila for the first time yesterday...this is how I like it. Fast and furious.

Seems this album is difficult to come by (at least in complete form)...are there other albums in Taylor's discog that come from this time period that I should check out?

Thanks. 
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:53pm
I have several of his records. A favorite is "Silent Tongues", it came out two years after the album you mention. Its him solo and there are plenty of fireworks and explosions. Recording quality is better than some of his others at that time.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 1:01pm
I've heard of that, but I don't think I"ve ever listened. 

Any full band performances? 
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 1:36pm
I have "Nefertitti the Beautiful One has Come", which has Jimmy Lyons on sax and Sonny Murray on drums. The performance is outstanding, but the recording is a bit murky, but lots of avant-garde jazz in the early years was not recorded that well, its almost like they did it on purpose.

Almost all of his early recordings are very good. Some people like "Unit Structures' a lot. Any album with Sonny Murray on drums is going to be good.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:33pm
I have Unit Structures...I didn't realize it was from around this time. 

I'll check into Nefertiti..., thanks. 
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 2:46pm
Actually Unit Structures and Nefertitti are earlier albums, but the playing is still very similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic