Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free Legal Jazz Downloads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 5:26am
Interesting debut album of US band Charts And Maps - free download here:

Mix of math-rock and some fusion Shocked

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 1:41pm
Hermeto Pascoal's songs are free for download! See this article from Agencia Brasil: http://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/new-in-english/2011-07-04/news-english-%E2%80%93-75-hermeto-pascoal-and-his-indescribable-music

Link to the portuguese language version: http://agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br/noticia/2011-07-02/aos-75-anos-hermeto-pascoal-diz-querer-compor-%E2%80%9C-musica-livre-de-adjetivos%E2%80%9D

And read the article in this entirety:

NEWS IN ENGLISH – At 75, Hermeto Pascoal and his indescribable music

04/07/2011 11:07

Alex Rodrigues and Pedro Peduzzi      Reporters Agência Brasil

Brasília – Hermeto Pascoal is one of the most colorful Brazilian musicians in a country of colorful musicians – not to mention colorful music. Born in 1936, in the state of Alagoas, he has been performing in public since before he was ten. He was on the radio as a teenager. He plays numerous instruments, composes and arranges, and sings. He is called a “multi-instrumentalist,” a shallow label that just barely scrapes the surface of this deeply inventive and innovative musician who has played all over the world with people like Miles Davis, John Lennon and Tom Jobim. Hermeto is a musician’s musician, a creative genius whose music is regional Brazilian and universal at the same time.

Hermto says he never really gave a lot of thought to the future. Certain that tomorrow would come, he concentrated on living the present to the full. And he did that without rushing things. What he did do was work on his mission: “making music free of adjectives” (“Hermeto Pascoal diz querer compor ‘a música livre de adjetivos’”). Hermeto turned 75 last week. Recognized in Brazil and around the world as an icon, he has had a very successful musical mission.

During a stopover in Brasilia, on June 25, Hermeto spoke to Agência Brasil.

“My desire is to make more music each new day. There will always be a lot that still has to be done, but one thing I will insist on is quality,” he says. “In music, quantity cannot substitute quality. The scales don’t lie. Each note has to be a good one. I do not compose to please the public. I compose what meets my standards and then I play it for the public.”

It should be noted that Hermeto has been known to write pieces that call for live animals – squealing pigs, hens clucking and so forth. He is nothing if not earthy and has also been known to use kitchen utensils and tools to make music. The translation of “music free of adjectives,” seems to be something so original that it cannot be classified.

SUBVERTING LOGIC - Given his unselfish nature and driving desire to see his music performed, it was only natural for Hermeto to be a part of what is known as the Free Culture Movement (“Cultura Livre”), a kind of free source (“democratizar o acesso à informação e à cultura”), anti-commercial organization opposed to the market logic of record companies and radio stations.

Way back even before the end of the last century, around 1995, Hermeto stirred up controversy by declaring that he wanted to be “pirated.” He said it was the best way to be heard everywhere. In 2009, he began “liberating” the rights to some 614 compositions that had been recorded on records or CDs. A licensing contract permitting free use of his music can be found at his personal site (www.hermetopaschoal.com.br ) that mirrors his own Free Spirit: it is handwritten by Hermeto himself, addressed to “musicians in Brazil and the world,” and ends with a call for everybody to make the best use of his compositions.

“My music belongs to whoever wants it. The idea is to liberate copyrights and let anyone who wants to play my stuff play it,” he explains.

Aline Morena, a 32-year-old musician from Rio Grande do Sul, who has lived and worked with Hermeto for the last ten years, after his first wife of 46 years died, says that some recording companies do not accept Hermeto’s unique licensing contract. “Their business is red tape. Lots of it. They want a separate, specific contract for each composition. We want to cut the red tape, and let artists come directly to us and get free access. When they go to the recording studios or record companies they have to pay,” she explains.

NO FEAR OF PIRATES – “If the recording companies do not send my music to radio stations, if my music is not played anywhere, what am I writing music for? I have never had and will never have any financial return on my work. What I have is pleasure, I have joy and that is what I get. Now what I want is for my music to be played. That is why I want my stuff to be pirated. That way people will play, hear and get to know my work. In my opinion, people who complain about piracy are people who write music only to sell it. The value of my work is not in dollar bills (“notas”), but in musical notes (“notas”),” says Hermeto.

According to Aline, out of the 4,000 or so compositions by Hermeto, the vast majority has not been recorded. Some 700 can be found at the composer’s site. An additional 41 works, never recorded or performed, have been digitally prepared by the pianist and arranger, Jovino Santos Neto, and made available on the internet as well.

If someone wants to honor Hermeto Paschoal, he or she can pick out something by the composer and just play it, explains Aline. “The idea seems to be a success. We get e-mails from all over the world."

“And don’t forget, I’m still composing,” adds Hermeto.

[note: Hermeto can be seen and heard on YouTube. Recordings are also available through Google – just type in his name]

Allen Bennett – translator/editor The News in English

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:52am
Well, all jazz before 1923 is in public domain... even in United States, The Land That Hate The Public Domain

Could you recommend some before-1923 jazz artists?

EDIT: Oh yes, there's some public domain jazz in this brazilian government website: http://www.dominiopublico.gov.br/pesquisa/PesquisaObraForm.jsp

Edited by tupan - 15 Sep 2011 at 10:01am
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 7:07pm
More jazz in public domain! Download here: http://www.jazz-on-line.com/pageinterrogation.php
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 2:33pm
UK avant-garde /electronics/improvs band Grutronics - free official d/load (live recordings):

Horizons View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Interesting debut album of US band Charts And Maps - free download here:

Mix of math-rock and some fusion Shocked

Great stuff. Thumbs Up
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 7:18am
Many songs from Club d'Elf are free for download here: http://www.clubdelf.com/?page=listen

And many shows are free for download here: http://www.archive.org/details/ClubdElf

And more shows, in torrent downloads: http://bt.etree.org/?searchss=&cat=46

Edited by tupan - 08 Dec 2011 at 7:59am
jazz music View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazz music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 11:35am
Thanks for the downloading suggestions. I am a music download addic.
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:45pm
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 12:59pm
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 9:11am
The long track "Fabmusic Opening", from Fab Trio, is free for download here: http://www.porterrecords.com/id45.html
portugaljazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote portugaljazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:25am
hey thanks guyz I downloaded full music for free ... i like the songs you have posted here ... 
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 12:55pm
^There's more, amigo português!

Carlo Mezzanote have some free tunes on this webpage: http://www.carlomezzanotte.com/inglese/music.htm

Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 1:51pm
I'm starting to dig into the contents of the following site that contains free legal albums by a variety of bands.  I'm sure a number of acts listed could be added to the site as well.

tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 1:26pm
^The people is finally discovering the sites of free legal music...Smile
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:58am
The only album of The Jazz Mutants is free here: http://steveunruh.com/cds/mutantpage.html

Direct download link: http://steveunruh.com/cds/jazz_mutants_files/the_jazz_mutants.zip
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:36am
Interesting Swiss trio Plaistow - all releases are free for download from their official site:

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 3:54am
^ I find it a bit too monotonic
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:48pm
^Write a review!
tupan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm
Brazilian trio Zoe: http://zoe3.bandcamp.com/

I recommend! Sax man
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic