JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Single Cut I've Every Heard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wufibugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Single Cut I've Every Heard
    Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:25am
Did a search and did not find this remarkable cut listed.  Found in quite by accident.  Joaquin Rodrigo wrote one of the most moving pieces of Spanish music as the second movement of his classical flamenco style Concierto de Aranjuez.  It's been recorded several times, most notably by Miles Davis.
 I commend to you a recording made in the 60s by Jim Hall, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Steve Gadd, Ron Carter and Roland Hanna of this piece.  Don't just listen.  Put on decent headphones, set aside 20 minutes in a quiet place, and let the collective genius of how these musicians manage to contain the classical piece within a jazz format.  There is absolutely no loss of the power and emotion in the transition from classical to jazz.
I have always felt that this piece perfectly captures the dispiriting end of the Spanish Civil War.  It could [should] have accompanied the opening footage of the film Behold a Pale Horse.  
You can find it at:

I have foisted this piece off on many people, some not particularly enamored of jazz.  So far none have failed to be transported by this 20 minute piece of music.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic