Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New EP from Lynn Cardona

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New EP from Lynn Cardona
    Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 8:15pm

SONGWRITER AND SOUL JAZZ ARTIST LYNN CARDONA
EXPLORES THE DARK SIDE OF LOVE
WITH THREE ORIGINALS ON HER NEW EP
OPHELIA

LYNN CARDONA's newest project, OPHELIA, is an EP featuring three original tunes about love - both unrequited and the kind of love that is ecstatic and slowly burns with longing and lust. Cardona is a contemporary jazz and soul artist living in Los Angeles. Her voice has a dreamy quality, somewhat reminiscent of Blossom Dearie. She released her first CD, LOVIN' YOU, in 2016.

Cardona grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, but moved to Memphis, Tennessee, shortly after graduating high school. The city has a rich music and arts culture, and over the following decade, she cut her teeth performing around town with some of best musicians in the South.

Cardona's lyrics reflect her troubled heart and difficult upbringing. She had been grappling with depression most of her life, brought about by being raised in a family with a horribly abusive stepfather. Indeed, the title tune, "Ophelia," which she co-wrote with well-known Memphis organist Charlie Wood, is about suicide. She had been feeling particularly fragile when her long-time boyfriend left her. She was devastated, and in her sorrow, she contemplated the ultimate desperate act. "I actually had a gun and was prepared to use it," says Cardona. "But I reached out to a friend as a cry for help, and she put me in touch with a therapist."

Broken and ashamed by her emotional state, she felt that she just had to leave the ghosts of Memphis behind her, so moved to Seoul, South Korea, when an opportunity to teach and perform presented itself. The other two songs on OPHELIA, "A Little Too Late" and "Mother Earth" were written during this period of recovery. Eventually, after her stint in South Korea, Cardona made her way to Los Angeles.

"A Little Too Late" is a tribute to a fleeting but life-changing love affair with a man named Joe, whom she fell for shortly after her breakup and whom she credits as pulling her out of her dark depression. Cardona sings, "In just autumn when the leaves all beg the trees to let them go... Maybe he loved me because he let me go, but it's a little too late." The first line was also inspired by her favorite poem by ee Cummings, "In Just," which is about spring. The second half of the tune was inspired by seeing the cherry blossoms in bloom in a small country town outside of Seoul when spring rolled around. When Cardona moved to Los Angeles from Seoul in 2012, she met the brilliant pianist Matt Politano, who helped her write the arrangement.

"Mother Earth" explores Cardona's ambivalent feelings about the idea of becoming a mother. Ultimately, the song celebrates the resilience and nurturing that both Mother Earth and women embody despite the abuses of mankind. LA-based guitarist Nozomi Yamaguchi helped her write the arrangement.

Cardona enlisted some the top talent in Southern California to help her with this project. Produced by guitarist DORI AMARILIO, she's backed by widely respected pianist, composer and recording artist JOSH NELSON, who has performed with some of the biggest names in jazz. Nelson has recorded for countless albums, films, and TV shows, as well as releasing seven CDs as a leader. She's also backed by bass player DAVE ROBAIRE, who is a professor of Jazz Studies at California State University, Northridge's prestigious music school and is the Manager of Music at Sam First, one of Los Angeles's most important venues for creative music. On drums, DAN SCHNELLE is one of the busiest, sought-after musicians in the Los Angeles area. Amarilio brought on board MICHAEL HUNTER to play flugelhorn. Hunter has performed with the likes of Stanley Clarke, Kamasi Washington, and Lenny Kravitz, among many others. And guitarist NOZOMI YAMAGUCHI is a dear friend of Cardona. "He was an integral part of giving this record a sound all its own since he brings a more soulful rhythmic approach to these songs," says Cardona.

Cardona wears her heart on her sleeve. Her emotions, vulnerable and exposed, flow through her music like a gentle stream. Her voice is sinuous and lyrical, and the musicianship on these three tunes is superb. As Cardona puts it, "I want my music to convey the nuances of the experiences I've had. I want listeners to feel that they can relate to me on the deepest level."

OPHELIA was released August 20, 2019 on Amazon and iTunes and at lynncardona.com.

Online:

Edited by js - 12 Dec 2019 at 8:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic