JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Guitarist Mary Halvorson Among MacArthur Fellows
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guitarist Mary Halvorson Among MacArthur Fellows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guitarist Mary Halvorson Among MacArthur Fellows
    Posted: 14 May 2019 at 5:53am
Earth, Wind & Fire’s front-man Philip Bailey has confirmed the details for his long-anticipated solo album due out this summer with the title ‘Love Will Find A Way’. It’s an all-star project with some of the biggest names in jazz involved, including Bailey’s personal friends bassist Christian McBride, the iconic jazz pianist Chick Corea and drum legend Steve Gadd. The album also features contemporary stars including saxophonist Kamasi Washington, keyboardist Robert Glasper, rapper, musician and producer will.i.am, trumpeter Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah, singer-songwriter Bilal, singer-saxophonist Casey Benjamin, guitarist Lionel Loueke, drummer Kendrick Scott and bassist Derrick Hodge.

The album came together over a two-year period and was initiated after Bailey started becoming aware of this forward-looking, all-embracing jazz generation. “I’d heard Rob Glasper was giving jazz a facelift,” Bailey says, and after attending the keyboardist’s live show, he was sold. He quickly brought Glasper on board to play on and produce some tracks, and he became invaluable to the singer in recruiting musicians and other decisions. But Bailey also continued with his own research. At Jazz Fest in New Orleans, he made a point of catching Kamasi Washington’s set and had a small-world moment. “Lo and behold, he introduced his father, [the woodwinds player Rickey Washington]. Me and Rickey had known each other for years!” Bailey recalls, chuckling. “We went to the same church! Kamasi went to bible school with my kids.”

The LP will be released on June 21st, with the first single immediately available: an interpretation of the Curtis Mayfield song: ‘Billy Jack’ featuring Robert Glasper and Kendrick Scott. There’s more on this on Nigel Williams’ Saturday Show this week on Jazz FM.

TRACK LIST:

01. Billy Jack ft. Robert Glasper
02. You’re Everything ft. Chick Corea
03. We’re a Winner ft. Bilal
04. Stairway To The Stars ft. Christian Scott and Christian McBride
05. Brooklyn Blues
06. Once In A Lifetime
07. Just To Keep You Satisfied
08. Sacred Sounds ft. Kamasi Washington and Robert Glasper
09. Long As You’re Living ft. Christian McBride
10. Love Will Find A Way ft. Casey Benjamin

from www.jazzfm.com

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 9:28am
mh_macarthurWEB.jpg

The MacArthur Foundation announced its 2019 fellows today, and among them is guitarist Mary Halvorson.

New York-based Halvorson is set to receive a “no strings attached” $625,000 stipend from the nonprofit organization, which aims to “encourage people of outstanding talent to pursue their own creative, intellectual, and professional inclinations” in various artistic disciplines, the sciences and other fields.

“I always thought I’d study science,” said the guitarist—who’s been issuing recordings with a cast of characters that includes bassist Michael Formanek, violinist Jessica Pavone, drummer Tom Rainey and pianist Sylvie Courvoisier for more than a decade—in a video posted to the MacArthur website. She goes on to say that the most engaging aspect of her work—whether performing or writing—is the exploratory trail-and-error gambit.

Halvorson also mentions the Thumbscrew project, various ensembles she works in, as well as Code Girl, a group she heads that includes vocalist Amirtha Kidambi. Halvorson said there is a second Code Girl recording in the offing, too.

For more information about the guitarist’s work, as well as upcoming tour dates, visit her website.

from http://downbeat.com
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 2:04pm
nice! 

loved halvorson since I"ve first heard her play. 
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic