JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Astral Project [US]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boredop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astral Project [US]
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:08am
Astral Project is a contemporary jazz group from New Orleans. File under post-fusion contemporary.

https://www.astralproject.com/

Discography:
New Orleans LA. - 1995
Elevado - 1997
VoodooBop - 1999
Big Shot - 2002
The Legend Of Cowboy Bill - 2004

Edited by boredop - 30 May 2019 at 9:09am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:55am
Thanks for the suggestion and I'm enjoying their music, but they are way too funky for our Post Fusion Contemporary tag. Contemp is mostly for fuzak and European style chamber jazz, in other words not much funk or swing.
Astral Project is more in the RnB, hard bop, fusion, funk type category, anyway, still checking them out, thanks again.

Edited by js - 31 May 2019 at 10:06am
boredop View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boredop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:41am
Sure, whatever you think is best. Like I said previously, I don't spend too much time worrying about the genre classifications. The lines between them are fuzzy, many albums cross over between several styles, and it ultimately doesn't impact my enjoyment of the music very much. And the JMA genre definitions don't always align with my own anyway, so I'm not gonna get too hung up over it. Glad you dig the band though! They're NOLA's finest.

Edited by boredop - 31 May 2019 at 10:41am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:02am
Did you ever work in New Orleans as a musician?
You seem to know the scene there well.

Edited by js - 31 May 2019 at 11:40am
boredop View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boredop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 11:44am
Yes, I lived there for a few years (late '90s), played in a few bands and went to a ton of shows. Since then I have returned often for gigs or just to see old friends. I do enjoy keeping up with the scene.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 12:01pm
Thats awesome, I love New Orleans, visited there many times and attended the jazz festival several times back when it really was a jazz festival. 
The Meters put on an incredible show one festival in the early 80s, very psychedelic with lots of stretched out synthesizer solos. I had never really heard them use synthesizer much before.

I also used to enjoy wandering the old neighborhoods at night, there was always a corner bar open all night with a great jukebox and older people carrying on like teenagers.

New Orleans is a similar to Memphis in that everyone seems to have some sort of hustle going on. LOL

Edited by js - 31 May 2019 at 12:02pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:01pm
added   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic