JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from NYC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boredop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from NYC
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:07pm
Hello to all from one of the capital cities of jazz, New York. I just learned of the site a few days ago and joined tonight. I'm a radio engineer at a well known station in New York, which allows me to get a lot of free CDs of new jazz releases. I'm also a working jazz/funk/blues musician, and sometimes a jazz DJ at some smaller community radio stations.

I have been an active contributor at Discogs for several years with 1100 contributions to that site, and I also have posted a lot of jazz on reddit under this same user name. I'm not sure how active I'll be here, but I like the idea of a discography site that is focused only on jazz. I also like that the submission rules aren't quite as strict as Discogs, which will hopefully mean this can be a more pleasant place to hang out!

Preferred styles: hard bop, funk, fusion, big bands, swing, post bop, New Orleans brass bands. A little bit of everything, really!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:14pm
Welcome, let us know if you need help with anything.
boredop View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boredop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:40pm
Thank you!

Is it the case that new artists can only be added to the database by admins or collaborators, but after that any user can contribute an album for that artist?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:44pm
Yes, only collabs can add artists, but anyone can add albums.
There is a thread where anyone can suggest artists to add.

Edited by js - 25 May 2019 at 10:44pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:37pm
Thats some nice reviews you put up there.
boredop View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boredop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:23pm
Thanks very much! I'm just trying to get acclimated.

I do have a question: If I'm adding an old album and I'm not able to determine the year of the release, what should I enter in the date field? Is it ok to put Unknown? Right now I'm ready to enter a compilation LP of an old dixieland musician but there is no date on the album jacket or labels, and I can't find any solid information about the year of release on other sites.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:28pm
You could post the album in this thread and let another site member see what they can find.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic