JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sonar's “The Bill Laswell Mix Translations” Vinyl
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sonar's “The Bill Laswell Mix Translations” Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sonar's “The Bill Laswell Mix Translations” Vinyl
    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
Sonar's “The Bill Laswell Mix Translations” To Be Released On Limited Edition 12-inch Vinyl EP On 7dMedia

The Swiss quartet SONAR has quickly gained international reputation for creating a unique blend of forward-thinking instrumental music imbued with power, tension and emotional identity. With their slow-build approach to dramaturgy and avoidance of conventional forms, they focus on collective group efforts and a deeper kind of interaction amongst their members Stephan Thelen (guitar), Bernhard Wagner (guitar), Christian Kuntner (electric bass) and Manuel Pasquinelli (drums).

For their internationally acclaimed fourth album “Vortex” (RareNoiseRecords), Sonar made an unexpected move by adding the expressive, experimental and deeply emotional playing of US guitarist and producer David Torn to their precise and disciplined polyrhythmic groove tapestry, thus adding the yin to their yang.

For this new vinyl release, legendary producer, remixer and bass guitarist Bill Laswell remixed and reconstructed two tracks from “Vortex”, also adding electronics and his signature bass guitar.

How did this (again unexpected and unlikely) collaboration happen? Sonar's guitarist and composer Stephan Thelen tells the story: “My friend and music journalist Anil Prasad wrote an e-mail telling me that he was meeting Bill Laswell for dinner and wondered if I would want him to ask if Bill would be willing to do two Sonar remixes. Since Bill has always been one of my favorite musicians, I of course said yes. Then things went really fast. Bill agreed to do it, but he wanted to do them soon, because his schedule was about to get very tight. I talked to the band, we decided which two pieces Bill should remix and then sent the multitracks to James Dellatacoma, Bill's engineer. Exactly 9 days after Anil's e-mail, we had two stunning remixes in our dropbox.”

In Anil's words, this is a “Zürich-New York sonic summit where minimalist groove meets maximum dub.”

Release date April 19, 2019

The album is available as a 12“ vinyl EP and as a 24 Bit download:
https://sonar7d.bandcamp.com/album/the-bill-laswell-mix-translations   
https://sonar-band.bandcamp.com/album/the-bill-laswell-mix-translations

For more information: www.sonar-band.ch

www.7dmedia.com  

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: +1 828-350-8158, [email protected] 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic