Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New album from Cathy Segal-Garcia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New album from Cathy Segal-Garcia
    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:44pm
CREATIVE, RISK-TAKING VOCALIST CATHY SEGAL-GARCIA
RELEASES "DREAMSVILLE"
A COLLABORATION WITH 
JOSH NELSON AND LARRY KOONSE
AVAILABLE MARCH 15, 2019

CATHY SEGAL-GARCIA is a songwriter, teacher, impresario, jazz writer and linchpin on the Los Angeles jazz scene. She's also a prolific recording artist and an exceptionally creative singer who's not afraid to take chances. DREAMSVILLE is her 12th CD.

Segal-Garcia's previous recording, THE JAZZ CHAMBER, featured a chamber band with horn and string sections as well as guests including Bennie Maupin, Kate McGarry and Tierney Sutton. On DREAMSVILLE, she once again enlarges her already broad musical vision by working with a more intimate pallet. She teamed up for this project with two A-list musicians, LARRY KOONSE on guitar and JOSH NELSON on piano. Koonse is a first-call musician with five CDs as a leader. He also appears on dozens of recordings as a sideman. Nelson is not only a favorite accompanist for singers, he also recorded six albums as a leader, and has created a popular multi-media show that intertwines music, art, and visuals to create a unique performance experience.

"I actually picked the musicians before I picked the music," says Segal-Garcia. "My executive producer, Dan Davilla, suggested I work with Larry. I thought that was a great idea. Larry and I have been friends for a long time and have worked together on numerous occasions. Every time I hear him play, he always does something astounding, but I hadn't yet recorded with him." Josh Nelson was their next choice. Segal-Garcia says, "Larry and Josh are incredibly sensitive musicians. I knew that making music with just the three of us would be a magical experience. We really didn't need other instruments for the feeling I wanted to create."

DREAMSVILLE is a true musical collaboration between three accomplished artists. They developed the arrangements together during rehearsals, creating rich textures of sound with Segal-Garcia's warm, dark vocals floating over the lush guitar and piano accompaniment.

The CD comprises a mix of standards, originals, and gems that are certainly off the beaten track, such as "Scarlatti Sonata in B Minor L33," which was written by the Italian composer Domenico Scarlatti in the 18th century for the harpsichord. Segal-Garcia was inspired to include this piece when she heard her piano tuner play it after tuning her piano. She does a wordless version of the tune as Koonse and Nelson weave together themes that bridge the classical and modern worlds.

Segal-Garcia opens the CD with "Dreamsville," composed by Henry Mancini with lyrics by Ray Evans and Jay Livingston. The melody was originally featured in an episode of the TV series Peter Gunn that aired from 1958 to 1961. The tune has a dreamy feel that sets the tone for the rest of the recording.

"Pensativa" is perhaps the late Clare Fischer's most widely recorded tune. Segal-Garcia was lucky to get the lyrics directly from him. Originally written as a bossa nova, the band changes it up by playing it as a jazz waltz.

"Lonely Woman" is a Horace Silver tune. Leonard Feather wrote the original lyrics for it, but Horace Silver decided to write his own lyrics, as well. Segal-Garcia has been singing this tune for a long time. Silver learned that she had been singing the tune and sent her his lyrics, but Segal-Garcia always preferred Leonard Feather's lyrics and sings them on DREAMSVILLE.

Segal-Garcia and the band also re-imagine the standard "September in the Rain." The song is usually performed as a swing tune, but the band takes a very different approach here. You can almost hear the sound of rain in Nelson's playing while Segal-Garcia's vocals seem to dance between the raindrops.

"Canto Triste" is a Brazilian song written by Vinicius de Moraes and Edu Lobo. It's been performed by a number of Brazilian artists as well as by Sergio Mendez and Brasil 66. Segal-Garcia first heard it when one of her music students brought it to class. Segal-Garcia sings the English lyrics by Lani Hall.

Segal-Garcia wrote two of the tunes on DREAMSVILLE. "The Three of Us" is a deeply emotional song about her older twin sisters, who died several years apart. They were very close and grew up singing together as a trio. You can hear the pain of her loss in the lyrics -- "We always knew one day / That youth would go away / But never in our dreams did we imagine / We would leave each other all alone / Without a song to sing." Segal-Garcia's composition, "Beyond the Years," is a haunting song about finally finding love after many years and many sorrows.

The music on DREAMSVILLE is truly a dialogue between voice, piano, and guitar. The open, airy arrangements invite us to listen in on the conversation. There is no shouting, no grandstanding. There are only Cathy Segal-Garcia, Josh Nelson, and Larry Koonse, three sensitive musicians with the performance chops and deep sensitivity that transport us to a place of great emotional depth and beauty.

DREAMSVILLE is available at CDBaby.com and in stores and online everywhere.

Online:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic