JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In The Narrow Margin (1952)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cigar joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In The Narrow Margin (1952)
    Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 6:01am
Anybody recognize the jazz tune that Marie Windsor listens to on the phonograph?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcZiAWD6NQM
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 6:32am
No, I don't recognize that.

Edited by js - 06 Feb 2013 at 10:54pm
cigar joe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cigar joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 7:04pm
Here is a longer clip, see if this rings any bells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR3iDGUeN0c

Edited by cigar joe - 06 Feb 2013 at 7:06pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 10:58pm
No, I still don't recognize it, but after hearing more, its in an older style than I previously thought. I edited my previous answer because it sounds more like something from the late 20's - early 30s, or a revival band playing in that style.
If you find out who it is, I'd be interested to know.

Edited by js - 07 Feb 2013 at 7:27am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 11:41pm
I did some research on this film, apparently that song is the only music in the film. That should make it easy to find, but I can't find the answer anywhere ... yet.    I'm going to keep looking. 
It seems like an old style of jazz for when the movie came out.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:30am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I did some research on this film, apparently that song is the only music in the film. That should make it easy to find, but I can't find the answer anywhere ... yet.    I'm going to keep looking. 
It seems like an old style of jazz for when the movie came out.

I felt the same, in that, the 50s use of Jazz is a bit different in mot 50s movies I know. Wish I could help!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
cigar joe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cigar joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:32am
yea IMDb doesn't list any music, that was the first place I checked. Unhappy

Can any of you pinpoint the style jazz?

Edited by cigar joe - 07 Feb 2013 at 5:34am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 7:12am
Some things about the music are hard to hear, but it has elements of early swing music as well as elements of even earlier (20s jazz) music. It may be from the early 30s, or it may be a 50s revival band playing in an earlier style.
It might be Fletcher Henderson, but it seems a little more modern than most Henderson music I've heard.
You get a fairly clear shot at the piano player, and I seriously doubt that's Ellington or Basie on the piano.
There's a web site that specializes in older jazz, I can't think of their name right now, but I bet someone over there might recognize it. I love older jazz, but my knowledge is limited compared to some people.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 10:27am
I'm wondering why they used such old music in a 50s movie. Is the movie set in the 30s?
cigar joe View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cigar joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:42pm
Probably supposed to be late 1949-50
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 3:25pm
The piano style reminds me a bit of Earl Hines, but I can't say I'm completely sure.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic