JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Genre representative albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genre representative albums
    Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 8:49am
Like many of you, I know some jazz but I have major problems operating with the genres. Therefore, I am officially requesting the more knowledgeable members to recommend me one or maximum two quintessentially representative albums for each of the following genres:

Hard Bop
Post Bop
Post Fusion Contemporary
Eclectic Fusion

This shall do for the moment. Thanks in advance! Big smile
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:13am
For the Post 70s Eclectic Fusion I would recommend Power Tools, the new Terje Rypdal album, (something about Crime, I forget the title), and Medeski Martin and Wood. The Blood Ulmer album 'Free Lancing' is easily one of his best. There are reviews up for all of those.

For Post Bop, any of the Miles Quintet albums and Herbie's 'Speak Like a Child'.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:29am
For post-fusion contemporary jazz I always thought non-fusion Hiromi's albums were a best example. We had plenty of discussions on her music there, and I know you don't like her music in general, so I would say another good example for me is one of Jason Moran's Bandwagon's album.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:29am
Thanks John. I know and like Rypdal's Crime Scene. With this album and with Led Bib's Sensible Shoes, which I see is also Eclectic Fusion, I think am already starting to understand the idea behind this category. Star

Interestingly, I see you mentioned Zorn twice in the Eclectic Fusion definition, but only one of his albums is tagged as Eclectic Fusion, and that one only has a ** review. Should I skip Zorn from my discovery of Eclectic Fusion? Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:31am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

For post-fusion contemporary jazz I always thought non-fusion Hiromi's albums were a best example. We had plenty of discussions on her music there, and I know you don't like her music in general, so I would say another good example for me is one of Jason Moran's Bandwagon's album.

Thanks Slava. I promised to check out at least one full Hiromi album before declaring I'm officially not interested, so I might try one. I heard Jason Moran's Ten and wasn't thrilled with it, is Bandwagon better?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:40am
Re Zorn: I would recommend Zorn's band Naked City. That is the band that caused us to create Post 70s Eclectic Fusion, I just couldn't see putting that band with 70s fusion bands.
Naked City has its own entry.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:43am
^^ Hmm, I am not a right person to recommend LOL. Generally , I don't like Contemporary jazz at all, for me it's a modern sophisticated form of pop-jazz or smooth jazz ,etc, and it's far not my cup of tea. I just listened some albums and saw some live shows (I saw Jason Moran's Bandwagon live, and they are really professional team on stage), so I just think it's a good illustration.Don't ask what is the best Contemporary jazz album for me LOL

Edited by snobb - 14 Apr 2011 at 9:44am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:46am
Interesting, I always thought Naked City are considered avant-jazz. But I've heard only one album (the self-titled one). 

Edited by harmonium.ro - 14 Apr 2011 at 9:48am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:47am
They play everything, sometimes in one song, ha, I saw them live, they were incredible and I'm not much of a Zorn fan usually.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:31am
Post Bop / Miles Davis - "E.S.P", "Miles Smiles", "Sorcerer". They have occasional avant moments (to my ears)
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:38am
Then, may I think that I have Post Bop and implications by Modal Jazz?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 4:06am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Like many of you, I know some jazz but I have major problems operating with the genres. Therefore, I am officially requesting the more knowledgeable members to recommend me one or maximum two quintessentially representative albums for each of the following genres:

Hard Bop
Post Bop
Post Fusion Contemporary
Eclectic Fusion

Actually without being adament about this subject... i notice that the genres are still an issue on M@X's sites and will probably end up in a lot of disagreements over the years. And that the multiplications of genres is NOT a viable solution. I'd rather have six or seven maximum, and have them as general and as englobing as possible, and have the possibility to have a multi-tag possiblity

if I've known of Hard Bop, I've never heard of post-bop....and to be quite frank, I've always heard of BeBop and not Bop

And these jazz-related and those fusion categories are not only confusing (despite the definitions), but disputable as well... I don't want to make an issue about this though...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 4:17am
^ you are making an issue already Wink

We have multi-tagging here, just look at the profile of an artist with a more diverse discography, like Miles Davis for example.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:11pm
Alex, if you are still looking for genre representative album, by now the tops in the categories should be a decent indication
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Hard Bop
Post Bop
Post Fusion Contemporary
Eclectic Fusion

if I've known of Hard Bop, I've never heard of post-bop....and to be quite frank, I've always heard of BeBop and not Bop

And these jazz-related and those fusion categories are not only confusing (despite the definitions), but disputable as well... I don't want to make an issue about this though...

the term "post-bop" has been around for a long time. "Bop" is just another way to say "Be-bop" so it's all the same.

I agree some of the genre decriptions are confusing, but Ive come to understand them a little better over time.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Alex, if you are still looking for genre representative album, by now the tops in the categories should be a decent indication

I kind of disagree, the charts for each sub-genre are in need of a few more ratings and reviews, I dont feel they are accurate just yet.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:51pm
^ Even more  - for many and many artists and genres they need a lot more ratings to become more or less representative LOL
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

I kind of disagree, the charts for each sub-genre are in need of a few more ratings and reviews, I dont feel they are accurate just yet.

But, for the particular ones Alex was inquiring about, I see many albums I think of as representative of the genres in the top rated.  That may be partly due to my own ratings LOL.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 3:21am
I kind of liked this manic thing
Hard Bop

and

A bit of cool with Charlie Parker

and also a classic with legends Davis, and Hancock 

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:17am
Although that is a sort of relaxed piece for a Bop tune, Charlie Parker doesn't play Cool, he plays Bop.
If you want Cool, check out Gerry Mulligan or Chet Baker.
Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie are the essence of Bop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic