Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So - albums 2013?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So - albums 2013?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 3:07pm
Simple but stylish Nordic modern pop with touch of jazz - new Beady Belle album "Cricklewood Broadway".

They call this music "future jazz" in Northern Europe - you'll hear these songs in every respectable club during nearest weeks for sure

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 24 Jan 2013 at 5:15am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 5:13am
Billy Martin (of Medeski Martin and Wood) released new solo album  - "freaky brass big band with Downtown feel". Not essential listening but contains some nice moments (fortunately humor is presented). Especially I like only composition with vocals (great female vocalist reminds me some last Nina Hagen jazzy albums - not by voice (she is obviously better vocalist than Nina) but by atmosphere)

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 24 Jan 2013 at 5:14am
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 5:21am
Slava, you're so fast Bowdown
I still haven't heard any 2013 releases, still digesting the end of 2012 Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 5:41am
Cool

Edited by snobb - 26 Mar 2013 at 3:20am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 9:59am
We have an EPK up for the new Metheny album if anyone wants to check it out.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:42am
French baritone saxophonist Celine Bonacina's second album on German Act label is pleasant surprise on European contemporary jazz scene. French leading fusion guitarist Nguyen Le protegee, differently from many smooth/chamber overpolished  faceless hybrids her album is alive - with freer adventurous moments and lot of fun. 

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 25 Jan 2013 at 2:51am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:47am
That sounds great, Slava - there'd be samples on amazon, right? Will go and try have a listen later tonight
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:54am
^ you've been too fast today LOL - but the sample is already added now 

Edited by snobb - 25 Jan 2013 at 2:54am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 3:08am
Ah! Thanks, Slava LOL
Will let you know what I think
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 4:58am
a relaxing album, tribute to composers Mauricio Einhorn et Johnny Alf known for their great contribution to the Bossa Nova style

great piano playing by Kenny Barron
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 4:59am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

French baritone saxophonist Celine Bonacina's second album on German Act label is pleasant surprise on European contemporary jazz scene. French leading fusion guitarist Nguyen Le protegee, differently from many smooth/chamber overpolished  faceless hybrids her album is alive - with freer adventurous moments and lot of fun. 

listen here:

quite nice
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:01am

^ you've been too fast today LOL - but the sample is already added now 

I liked it, I don't have a lot of jazz albums where baritone is so prominent, so that was really good to hear.
Is that song fairly representative of the album?
Reviews...
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 9:38am
songs vary (what is serious plus for me) in genres, some are more world/latin influenced, other - with freer improvs, but with lot of tenor on the front everywhere (agree, rare case). Plus guests vibraphonist , German nu jazz piano star Michael Wollny and Danish great contemporary jazz bassist Lars Danielsson. 

Few more samples are here:

Edited by snobb - 25 Jan 2013 at 9:38am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:12pm

very nice Nu Jazz album, tribute to Wagner, I like how Tom Arthurs's trumpet sounds

Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:20pm
Even though it was released last year in Japan as an import, Hiromi's new album "Move" comes out in March, and I'll be getting it. I could have gotten it when it first originally came out, but I procrastinated, and now the price for the import skyrocketed. Why her albums are released in Japan before the rest of the world, and for months before the "official" release confuses me, especially because she is based in New York.
My Last.fm

“I go out onstage, and my intention is to make the first four rows bleed from their ears.”
-Sonny Sharrock
darkshade View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 1:25pm
Just checked this out http://www.jambands.com/news/2012/11/30/the-return-of-john-scofield-s-uberjam-band

John Scofield is reuniting with his "Uberjam" band, otherwise known as The John Scofield Band.

Scofield will both tour and record with the Uberjam group in 2013.

Louis Cato and longtime Uberjam member Adam Deitch will alternate drums duties on Scofield’s new album as well as on the road (Deitch is confirmed to play Dallas, TX’s Lights All Night Festival on Tuesday with Break Science). The Uberjam band’s new release is due out in May on Emarcy/Universal. They are expected to tour throughout 2013.

Really excited!!! Uberjam and Up All Night are two of my favorite Scofield albums, and especially excited because I haven't looked forward to a new Scofield album since "This Meets That" way back in 2007.
My Last.fm

“I go out onstage, and my intention is to make the first four rows bleed from their ears.”
-Sonny Sharrock
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:16am
I know Israeli reeds player Gilad Atzmon mostly from his collaboration with English ska/rock'n'rollers The Blockheads and later -from work with Robert Wyatt. This his new solo album is a collection of musical souvenirs from different world's cities where Gilad played his music - from Buenos Aires to Tel Aviv and Paris. Living in UK for two decades he's a household name on British jazz scene. With main accent on emotional side and not on musicianship virtuosity, this album is probably his most relaxed,lyrical (even old-fashioned-romantic) Gilad work for years.

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 28 Jan 2013 at 5:17am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:52am
Last year noisy Scandinavian  trio The Thing (Swedish sax player Mats Gustafsson, Norwegians bassist Ingebrit Haker Flaten and drummer  Paal Nilssen-Love) released unusual for them easy accessible album The Cherry Thing (with Don Cherry step-daughter Neneh Cherry on vocals). Really nice album if a bit too lightweight received a great media and was one between most popular year's releases around Europe.  

listen here:

This early January Mats Gustafsson continued the project with much more ambitious release - on a base of his another full-Swedish band Fire! (with bassist Johan Berthling and drummer Andreas Werliin (Tonbruket)). This time he increased Fire! trio till Fire!Orchestra adding more 27(!) members (5 singers, 10-piece reeds section, 4 guitarists, 3 bassists,3 drummers, keyboardist and electronics wizard) to existing trio. Some wellknown North European musicians as guitarist David Stackenas, former EST bassist Dan Berglund and Atomic trumpeter Magnus Broo participate.

The result is fantastic: avant-garde jazz big band , modern day "Escalator Over The Hill" or Centipede. May be I'm wrong but I expect we have one among few best this only started year's releases here

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 30 Jan 2013 at 5:42am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 8:19am

Belgian pianist Eric Legnini started as soul jazz musician, than switched to more popular acid and nu jazz and at the end find out comfortable contemporary jazz. On this new album he did next step toward potential commercial success - with guest vocalists recorded the collection of pop-songs with jazzy arrangements.I expect he knows his market well enough and did no mistake with that. Still for listeners who expect some more jazzy music from him instrumental versions of songs are added as bonuses.

Songs all are melodic, some - even catchy and vary from urban r'n'b to world beat to old-fashioned melancholic pop-jazz. First (pop) media reviews are positive so it's enough reason to expect some album's commercial success, at least around Benilux and France.

listen here:
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:27am
Formerly classical pianist, Stefano Battaglia for two decades was one of leading Italian contemporary jazz musician with series of albums mostly on domestic labels ( avant-garde,contemporary jazz and sometimes third stream). Few years ago he was signed by ECM, this album is his fifth on this German label. 

If during last three-four years ECM most advantage releases are usually related with NY scene musicians, Battaglia's music cover their more traditional segment - chamber European contemporary jazz. Fortunately his playing is far from genre's cliche, probably his avant-garde experience helps here. As with other South European pianists, his music is warmer than usual ECM "Nordic sound" , melancholic and dreamy in moments. Recorded in Switzerland, sound is different from ECM German or Norwegian studios (same sound usually have their Udine studio's recordings). In all - don't expect any news but traditional ECM music, upper segment though.

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 07 Feb 2013 at 5:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic