JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Pianists and Tyner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Pianists and Tyner
    Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 10:45pm
So most of the modern pianists I hear seem to draw most of their influence from bebop, Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett, and maybe Herbie Hancock. Maybe I'm wrong, idk.

My question is whether any of you know of any modern pianists who sound strongly influenced by McCoy Tyner, particularly in his quartal chords, pentatonic scales, key changes, and fiery passion.

I'd love recommendations!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 2:20am
McCoy Tyner's quartal voicings continue to be an influence on almost everyone, but not so much in a very imitative way, but his chord voicings were a game changer for the entire jazz world.

Dwiki Dharmawan can do some fairly Tyner sounding solos, the influence is strong sometimes with Vijay Iyer too, also its a big part of Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
Moved to artist appreciation thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic