JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which version of Autumn Leaves?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which version of Autumn Leaves do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [100.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which version of Autumn Leaves?
    Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm
Two incredible performances of the standard "Autumn Leaves." Which one do you prefer?

http://youtu.be/4Xi-emWNePw

Autumn Leaves is the first one in this video and stops at about 26:06—
http://youtu.be/ayqrJldHzLo

It's a hard one for me. Wynton's has a lot of technical prowess appeals to the theory nerd in me with all of its metric modulations. Not to mention, it just feels so good. I will have to go with Keith's though. His harmonies at the beginning are very poignant, his solos captivating, and the ending just as poignant as the beginning.

Edited by Polymorphia - 20 Dec 2012 at 12:08pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 1:06pm
"Autumn Leaves" is not one of my favorites, but what Wynton and his group do with it is very clever. I prefer the Marsalis version, and those constant rhythm changes are very difficult, but it comes across as an exercise in cleverness, still it was fun to hear.
I like Jarret's very early playing, but since the 70s he has been a little on the dramatic side for me
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 6:38pm
I went to Wynton if I chose the list, but I did not like this music very much. It was sentimental, and various musicians played the melody like that. However, the Sarah Vaughan version seemed to change the impression.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic