JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oliver Nelson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oliver Nelson
    Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 8:25am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blues_and_the_Abstract_Truth

Just now on a radio station I heard a solo that I thought sounded like Hubbard and investigated - turns out it was from Oliver's famous album above, which I'd never heard of until tonight. (Features some other heavy hitters like Dolphy, Evans of course) and I'm disappointed in myself that I'd never heard of this album.

Anyone have a copy? I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying it but I'd love some opinions anyway Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 11:19am
No, I don't have any solo Nelson albums, but I do have a lot of albums where he handles the arranging.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

No, I don't have any solo Nelson albums, but I do have a lot of albums where he handles the arranging.
How is he as an arranger, John?
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 5:15pm
The Blues and The Abstract Truth is a classic! I really like it.
I've also heard Skul Sessions, that's rather a mix bag, not really original but it's fun mix of 70s jazz genres.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

The Blues and The Abstract Truth is a classic! I really like it.
I've also heard Skul Sessions, that's rather a mix bag, not really original but it's fun mix of 70s jazz genres.

Cool! Thanks, Pablo - I'll look into 'Skul Sessions' too. I reckon I'll like 'The Blues and ...' will be ace. Going to try my local store - find that they don't have it in stock - and order online Smile
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

One of the best, he was the go to guy during his prime, I know I have him with Sinatra, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith and many more. Arranging and band leading has been his calling card more than his playing, but he's a good saxophonist too.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 5:44pm

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

One of the best, he was the go to guy during his prime, I know I have him with Sinatra, Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith and many more. Arranging and band leading has been his calling card more than his playing, but he's a good saxophonist too.

Fantastic, I'll have a look through my Jimmy Smith and see if I spot him.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic