FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proto Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto Jazz
    Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:06pm
There's a nice playlist on Youtube called the same way, but I'm pretty sure there was something before that, or they just playing those first songs...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLMzFMAtTDwXIWh08lvXyoCmw7NFlWA0e
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2012 at 3:20am
of limited interest, past the initial and very important archeological discovery, but very instructive nevertheless...
Thanks for posting this Clap

Edited by Sean Trane - 26 Nov 2012 at 3:21am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:08pm
Yeah, I had no idea there were recordings like this out there, this was quite a nice surprise. It answers a lot of questions I had, you can clearly hear the Africa to jazz connection, this is the missing link.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 9:01pm
Fascinating, John, one does hear what would've been the beginnings of the jazz 'ground', the root patterns played as bass parts and consequently the other syncopations that emerged.   Neat stuff.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 8:57pm

I was interested about these matters, too. I thought that it had the relationship that was close to African music if I considered it as the history of the jazz. I do not know whether RnB and Ragtime should call it proto jazz before the jazz. However, I think that the album has ancestors of the jazz surely.

Talk in particular about drum solo.

Music called "Rudiments" has been already recorded in an album. This is one of the basic exercises to play a drum. I have listened to the teacher of my drum before. There was the military unit of the marching drum to raise the morale of the armed forces and was at the top. Even as for the situation dangerous. I did not understand the real intention, but thought that probably there were jazz and a relationship.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 8:32pm
Since the first jazz recordings didn't take place until 1917, its hard to find the music that existed before that, yet I have often wondered what the old brass bands sounded like before they became jazz.

The other day I stumbled across this CD, Baby Dodds "Talking and Drum Solos". The first eight cuts are cool enough and feature Dodds demonstrating great jazz drum styles from the 20s and earlier that don't even exist anymore, but even more surprising, starting on track 9 you can hear a brass band playing in a much older style that was probably what was happening somewhere approaching the turn of the century, (1890s or so). This brass band was recorded in the 1950s, but their music is much older than that. Sometimes in the old US south, you can find culture that exists outside of time.

Listen to these amazing tracks and you can hear the roots of jazz, and you can also hear how African this music was, its not much different from some African field recordings I have.

Edited by js - 26 Nov 2012 at 2:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic