JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Abraxis (Belgium)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote historian9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abraxis (Belgium)
    Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 5:29pm
One album here.

Info from here:
Keyboardist Charles Loos and bassist Jean-Paul Musette are known to many prog fans as members of the great Belgian band Cos, which also included guitarist Daniel Schell and vocalist Pascale Son. Loos appeared on the band’s first LP, Post Aeolian Train Robbery, and Musette was present on tracks recorded in 1973 and early 1974 (which subsequently appeared as bonus tracks on the CD reissue). Both were long gone by the time Cos recorded their second LP, Viva Boma, in July 1976. The liner notes to the CD re-issue of Post Aeolian Train Robbery allude to Musette’s desire to play music that was more rooted in jazz, and the same was likely true of Charles Loos. Clearly, Abraxis was the manifestation of their desire to play complex, yet palpably jazz-based, original music. The band's eponymously titled LP was recorded in December 1976, and released on the "I. B. C." (International Bestseller Company) subsidiary of EMI-Benelux.
Besides Loos (on Fender Rhodes, miniMoog, and acoustic piano) and Musette (electric bass), Abraxis also included flutist Dirk Bogaert, guitarist Paul Elias, and drummer Jack Mauer (though Tony Malisan plays drums on most of the LP’s 9 tracks). Several of these guys played in other Belgian jazz-rock groups such as Placebo, Waterloo and Pazop. Abraxis' sound is fairly close to that of Cos, albeit jazzier and with Bogeart’s flute replacing Pascale’s vocals. Other stylistic points of reference are Placebo (a Belgian jazz-rock fusion band led by keyboardist / producer Marc Moulin), and the jazzier Canterbury-type bands such as Gilgamesh and National Health. The compositions (by either Loos or Musette) are all rather involved and multi-sectioned, though there is plenty of room for lengthy solos by Loos (whose playing reminds me a bit of Chick Corea’s), Bogaert, and the surprisingly excellent Elias. The musicianship is first rate throughout - Musette is better than solid, replacement drummer Tony Malisan is a monster, and guitarist Elias is right up there with the likes of Phil Miller. They also cover quite a bit of stylistic ground, from weird Zappa-like convolutions, to flat-out funky fusion jamming, to neo-classical ruminations for acoustic piano, acoustic guitar and flute. Fusion fans, flute fans, and those who enjoy intelligent progressive rock in general, should seek this one out. -- Dave Wayne

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 5:34pm
I think I'm still waiting for the JR/F team in PA to tell me whether I can add this suggestion of mine
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 2:50am
added                                                     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic