JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What music is more popular-jazz or prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 12:23pm
I think prog is more popular when considering individual bands/artists. Jazz, as a whole genre, is definitely more popular than prog.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:33pm
While prog appeals to a broader age group as time moves along, jazz now encompasses all age groups so I'd have to say jazz is still more popular in general.  The shame is that not enough of the older folks (like me) are contributing their experienced opinions of the genre online so that the generations to come will know what it was like to hear a new Miles Davis or Dave Brubeck album for the very first time.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

While prog appeals to a broader age group as time moves along, jazz now encompasses all age groups so I'd have to say jazz is still more popular in general.  The shame is that not enough of the older folks (like me) are contributing their experienced opinions of the genre online so that the generations to come will know what it was like to hear a new Miles Davis or Dave Brubeck album for the very first time.

Good point, Rollie...Clap

When reviewing an album I myself (nearing 50) try to imagine how groundbreaking it might have been back when it was first released. It's definitely not an easy task for me as it is to do so for prog (since I started listening to prog at 11 in 74), but for jazz, this is something different... since (despite being subjected at swing jazz in my childhood > thanks dad Wink) I only really started listening to jazz (on my own initiative) around 83, but still skimmed it somewhat back then....

The other difficult poiint to appreciate the "groundbreakingness"  of a 50's album going in the reverse direction (from the 70's to the 40's), escially coming from such a complex music style as prog... Indeed, I'm kind f at a loss to find Ornette Coleman all the hoopla about his supposedly "groudbreaking" stuff... Of course I manage it somewhat in the long run, but it might have been much easier if I'd work in jazz from the 30's until the 70's, rather than reverse..

But I'm having too much problems finding any kind of interest in be-bop or swing, finding it old-timers music to perseverate in that forward in time progression

hopefully I made sense in my ramblings EmbarrassedWink

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 4:41pm
Has to be jazz, I think.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

When reviewing an album I myself (nearing 50) try to imagine how groundbreaking it might have been back when it was first released. It's definitely not an easy task for me as it is to do so for prog (since I started listening to prog at 11 in 74), but for jazz, this is something different... since (despite being subjected at swing jazz in my childhood > thanks dad Wink) I only really started listening to jazz (on my own initiative) around 83, but still skimmed it somewhat back then....

The other difficult poiint to appreciate the "groundbreakingness"  of a 50's album going in the reverse direction (from the 70's to the 40's), escially coming from such a complex music style as prog... Indeed, I'm kind f at a loss to find Ornette Coleman all the hoopla about his supposedly "groudbreaking" stuff... Of course I manage it somewhat in the long run, but it might have been much easier if I'd work in jazz from the 30's until the 70's, rather than reverse..

But I'm having too much problems finding any kind of interest in be-bop or swing, finding it old-timers music to perseverate in that forward in time progression

I completely understand. I do often feel underwhelmed at some of the 'great, groundbreaking' works of the greats for that very reason. Either its been done alot, or better, or whatever. Historical context is certainly important but something I take with a grain of salt nowadays.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I completely understand. I do often feel underwhelmed at some of the 'great, groundbreaking' works of the greats for that very reason. Either its been done alot, or better, or whatever. Historical context is certainly important but something I take with a grain of salt nowadays.

Even more difficult to assess is that the groundbreaking done in a certain era, that lead to some more groundbreaking, done better or gone futher (one that might have had more resonance on a wider public). One that might make  the judged work seem relatively tame compared with works that built on it and were released two years later...

Yeah, that's where I was getting at with Rollie's statement: it's really up to the guys who lived the music and the succession of the groundbreaking releases of the era that can really realize this... and give us the hints... Now I guess there are hundreds of books explaining this, but finding the knowledge on the web is probably not that easy... partly because it's not on the web. (that's why we're hereBig smile, but finding knowledgeable collabs proves more difficult than for PA and JMA, where the pyramid age of the knowledgeable is quite younger and more web-friendly/receptive to dispell it's savoir-faire)

Just like in PA, imagine some 15y-old proghead having a good historical perspective... It must be tough for some to get into ELP or Procol Harum, when contemporary bands like Porcupine Tree gives you the "go" nowadays, because it (ELP or PH) may sound as dated to them as Duke Ellington or Glen Miller sounds dated to me

hopefully, my ramblings still make senseTongue

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 2:04pm
I stick to the jazz as well as the auditory is huge and the popularity as well...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic