JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What music is more popular-jazz or prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What music is more popular-jazz or prog?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:39pm
I wonder which of these 2 genres has a larger audience
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:41pm
Probably jazz, because women listen to it.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:55pm
intersting point, never thought of that...Big smile

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:04pm
^^Just as much as prog, or less.  That's my experience, but maybe you were joking.

Both genres have their universal giants, but nowadays I guess the jazz gig scene is a bit more vibrant underground than prog. But lots of progressive bands are visible in the mainstream rock press, whereas jazz... is there mainstream jazz press?

Edited by Pekka - 11 Apr 2011 at 1:04pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:09pm
I can tell from my experience that it's much easier to find reviews of jazz albums than for prog(not counting PA where you have member reviews and of course , now JMA...) 
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

^^Just as much as prog, or less.  That's my experience, but maybe you were joking.

Both genres have their universal giants, but nowadays I guess the jazz gig scene is a bit more vibrant underground than prog. But lots of progressive bands are visible in the mainstream rock press, whereas jazz... is there mainstream jazz press?

IMO everything's viceversa, at least as far as I know. Jazz is a huge phenomenon, gathering millions of people every year all around Europe especially via festivals (here's an amazing, complete list of festivals in Europe; there are going to be 25 festivals in the next three weeks!). There is jazz everywhere in the media, even dedicated media institutions such as Mezzo (Heart) and many radio stations (one of my favourites is TSF from France); compared to this, all the prog stations that I know are online "radios", not real stations, and prog basically doesn't exist in visual media. If you compare THE ultimate prog site, PA, which has that amazing database, to a fairly good and representative site like AllAboutJazz, which is mostly news, interviews and editors' reviews, PA has a ranking of only 32,776 and gets only 1200 links, while AAJ has the ranking of 23,404 and almost 3300 incoming links.

And at all jazz concerts I've been, the number of women was much larger than at the prog concerts.

Even harmonium.ro consists almost only of jazz articles. Tongue Wink

Edited by harmonium.ro - 11 Apr 2011 at 1:34pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:41pm
It would be interesting to compare sales figures if someone has the information...My feeling is that excepting some jazz  CD's which get high exposure there are a lot with pretty low sales-at least that the impression I get looking at the Amazon sales rating, and I don't know if these figures are representative for the market
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:45pm
Jazz festivals are a curious phenomenon. One of Finland's biggest festival is Pori Jazz, but when you look at the headliners every year, they've got hip hop, soul, dub... and some jazz in the small tents around the area. And Montreux jazz festival? Is it actually a jazz happening? Tongue 

But yeah, when comparing gigs between Helsinki and Prague (haven't seen any prog in Prague though) there might be slightly more women around in jazz, but not that noticeably. Big newspapers hardly talk about prog, especially underground prog, but jazz is more visible there definitely. It's art, whereas prog is just rock.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:49pm
How many women come for the music and how many come with their boyfriends/husbands?

Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

How many women come for the music and how many come with their boyfriends/husbands?

I'd like to think that women have a mind of their own Tongue But well, I guess it happens, and the other way around too for some other kinds of gigs. The few I personally know all come for the music.

Edited by Pekka - 11 Apr 2011 at 1:55pm
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:57pm
I'd say jazz is much more popular than prog, because it appeals to such a wide variety of people - older people who aren't interested in rock, younger people who are interested in more than just rock, everything in between. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 2:24pm
Im at school so I dont have time to say everything I'd like to

but if we're talking sales alone, jazz has prog beat. Sure there are some individual prog bands that climb the charts, but as a whole, not really. Some jazz albums have sold in the millions, I'm not sure if any individual prog albums have sold that much (I'm sure they have. And I'm not talking about Pink Floyd, as they are not strictly prog IMO, and are the exception to the "rule")

I would also say jazz has many household names, whereas I would argue prog doesnt. If you entered a crowded room and yelled "Miles Davis!", "Herbie Hancock!", "Louis Armstrong!", etc I'm sure a few people would turn their heads.

Aside from yelling "YES!" which wouldn't work well in this situation, yelling any other band name besides Pink Floyd would not gather much attention. (Maybe Rush?)

There are also a few jazz radio stations in my area, whereas even classic rock radio rarely plays prog (again, besides Pink Floyd, they are beyond "prog" in terms of popularity; most people do not associate them with prog)

Maybe it's different in Europe, but I live in the NYC tri state area, so I base my observations on the general public of this area.

So I say jazz is more popular.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:12pm
JAZZ with out doubt is  HUGE all around the World 
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:17pm
Jazz but prog does come close only because it has so much jazz in it Wacko
Matt
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:35pm
jazz by faaaaar, I don't see any other possibility

..that is unless you combine the collective popularity of Floyd, Tull, Yes, etc.--  I suspect, worldwide, jazz still wins but it's harder to say with more younger people familiar with albums as The Wall than they are Kind of Blue

Edited by Atavachron - 21 Apr 2011 at 7:39pm
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:57am
Jazz by a whisker but i prefer Prog
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Probably jazz, because women listen to it.

that's a no-brainer... at least for me...Wink

Definitely jazz.... it's been there for much longer and is considered as a totally accepted music (not a genre anymore), it has dedicated radio stations for decades and many specific clubs and many more women (as you sayWink)

I'd say that casual listeners of the prog giants likeGenesis or Crimson are not necessarily "prog fans" either
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathaniel607 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 2:16pm
I don't know what it is about jazz, but it seems to have a problem where it is much harder to find out and hear exerts from new (and even old!) releases. It's especially weird when I see albums that have a lot of praise as masterpieces and visionary but only have one or two clips on youtube. 

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:10pm
Jazz absolutely. Prog is very niche "genre" whereas Jazz is much much larger (and an actual genre as opposed to sub genre). Others made very good points (harmonium/darkshade) which I completely agree with.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 11:35pm
The OP was;

What music is more popular-jazz or prog?

In my house they get equal billing Big smile

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic