JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ilire Avdiu [Kosovo]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tzeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ilire Avdiu [Kosovo]
    Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:19am
Ilire Avdiu for Ethno Jazz.

Ilire is a Kosovar albanian clarinet player, living in Prishtina. She studied classical music with clarinet at the University of Prishtina. Before moving to a solo career, she participated in several pop, rock and jazz bands, most notably in the rock/raegge band Offchestra.

Her first solo album came out in early 2017, entitled "A Night in Prishtina".

Track list of the album:

1. Shqiptarçe
2. Mezze & Raki
3. Jazz N' Tea
4. Sublime | Ballade
5. Balkan Jazz Groove
6. A Night in Prishtina

Line-up of the album:

Ilire Avdiu - Clarinet, compositions and arrangements
Ilir Bajri - Piano
Enes Bajramliqi - Drums
Fatlind Ferati - Bass
Dukagjin Muhaxheri - Saxophone
Avni Krasniqi - Trumpet

Ilire Avdiu with a Bulgarian quartet during Pleven Jazz Fest 2018 in September this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBg93RxCK0A
(the sound comes after a minute or so)

Edited by Tzeck - 02 Dec 2018 at 10:01am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 4:46am
added

Tzeck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tzeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 1:30pm
I don't think Yugoslavia is appropriate as a country for Ilire as there is no such thing since long time now. I know your Serbian wife would disagree about the existing of Kosovo. I also am on the Serbian side about that matter and think Kosovo is historically Serbia, but I believe most important is what Ilire think where she is from. And after all, Kosovo is recognized by around 100 countries, they participate in the FIFA and UEFA tournaments, etc., and Ilire don't know a word in Serbian (I can tell, because I spoke with her for three days in a row while organizing her concerts). It's up to you, of course, and it doesn't bother me personally at all, but I just don't think it's quite respectful towards the artist. 
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 4:08am

I am on Kosovo side but you're right about my wife LOL

The reason I added her like that is simpler - we use automatic tables when adding the origin and unfortunately there is no Kosova generated. Since there is no other way to add the country of origin, I added the best I could chose from existing possibilities. When she was born Kosova was a part of Yugoslavia so formally it is absolutely correct.

I understand well that politically in the moment it doesn't look like a best solution, but fortunately we are not a politic  site . You probably already noticed that absolutely all former Yu artists are added under  their currently politically correct country of origin (i.i. Croatia,Slovenia,BiH or Macedonia, doesn't matter when they are born). I spent enough time living in a region after the war to feel the political sensitivity of the question. If there would be technical possibility she would be added under Kosova for sure. 

And - I didn't add her under Serbia, what would be a political scandal, Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore and in all cases Yugoslavia and Serbia is far not same country. 

Alternatively, if you think she wouldn't agree  with what is done - we can leave her origin empty, there is an another technical possibility

Edited by snobb - 10 Dec 2018 at 4:12am
Tzeck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tzeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 3:51pm
I understand. I thought the reason could be similar, but just wanted to mention it. I don't think she would really complain, she is such a modest person. But some other Kosovars might, I don't know. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Edited by Tzeck - 02 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic