JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combo Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combo Size
    Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 12:25am
I've been listening to a few trio albums recently, in particular Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans trios.

It occurred to me that it can be difficult to compare a trio to a group of larger size, like a quintet. The content of the music is much more diverse in albums such as "Blue Train" where there is a trumpet, trombone, and saxophone alternating solos along with the pianist and bass player also possibly taking solos.

I suppose this question depends entirely on one's opinion, but I think it's worth thinking about. Is a larger combo, for the most part, better than a small one? Many top jazz album lists on other sites seem to think so. Or is it perhaps "Not about the size, but how you use it"
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 3:45am
I think they both can be interesting. I like the large ensemble work of Gil Evans, Duke Ellington, Anthony Braxton, Don Ellis, Sun Ra and so many more, a lot of that is my favorite music, but sometimes nothing sounds better than a tenor, standup bass and drums trio.
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 2:51pm
I suppose I was excluding the works of big bands, limiting the question to whether a good lineup (like in Kind of Blue) is "better" with 6 people rather than 3 or 4.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 7:08pm
I think that I need a technique and knowledge when a small form expresses it for a musician. I think that both trio and quartet are interesting personally. I recommend trio where there is not a piano player if there is an opportunity. I can feel that it widens possibility of trio more and think that it is interesting.
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 10:57pm
Can you give recommendations for trios like that? That sounds awesome.

-Jean Sibelius
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2012 at 11:39pm

Yes. I collected albums of trio where there was not a piano player before. The form may be in the form that it is more irregular than piano trio. However, the form can enjoy possibility of trio. Probably by a line of sax-bass-drums.

Some albums are these. I believe that it is an entrance for this to enjoy trio album.

A Night at the Village Vanguard - Sonny Rollins

Motion - Lee Konitz

At The "Golden Circle" - Ornette Coleman

Triplicate - Dave Holland

The Dark Keys - Branford Marsalis

davidrydelnik View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidrydelnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Yes. I collected albums of trio where there was not a piano player before. The form may be in the form that it is more irregular than piano trio. However, the form can enjoy possibility of trio. Probably by a line of sax-bass-drums.

Some albums are these. I believe that it is an entrance for this to enjoy trio album.

A Night at the Village Vanguard - Sonny Rollins

Motion - Lee Konitz

At The "Golden Circle" - Ornette Coleman

Triplicate - Dave Holland

The Dark Keys - Branford Marsalis

add "The Trumpet Player" by Avishai Cohen to that list...one of my absolute favorite trio albums.  (I also highly recommend the other's listed above Wink)
Jazz Trumpeter, Vocalist, Trombonist, Guitarist...internet marketer and fitness geek. <a href="http://davidrydelnik.com" _fcksavedurl="http://davidrydelnik.com">
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic