JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Birth of Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Birth of Jazz
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:06pm
A Controversial Subject:
What's your opinion?
Classically, Jazz started in the early 20th century, around World War I. I've always learned it as being a fusion of ethnic slave songs and the Blues music that started from slavery in the Deep South as well. From that came an innovative blend of what was later called "swing," syncopation, polyrhythm, progression, and a host of other musical features that now grace the genre.
But, where did the genre truly start? How did it start? 
And of course, what is jazz?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:29pm
It starts with the Brass bands in New Orleans at the turn of the century. They would play popular tunes for marches, funerals etc. The long marches would result in the tunes being repeated many times and the players would improvise to relieve their boredom.
Later when many of the musicians moved up north, they continued playing the music, but it was no longer used for marching, instead they would play seated. This led to the use of the piano, stand up bass and trap set. This style became known as Dixieland. 
You can read our genre definitions for more info on how jazz developed. Start with the overview of jazz first, which gives the order in which the genres developed.

Edited by js - 10 Apr 2011 at 9:30pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:49pm
I took a jazz history class before, and js pretty much nailed it; long story short version at least Wink

any reason why this is in the Blogs section?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:58pm
Your right, I'll move to I have a question.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 11:00pm
Approve
andyman1125 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 7:21pm
Well I intended it to be a Blog/discussion but whatever LOL
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:06pm
I only know that Louis Armstrong is important but not how and why he is, tell me all about it
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:10pm
He was the first virtuoso soloist who was featured as such, prior to that, most jazz was group improv. Our definition of Classic 1920s Jazz gets into that a little bit, plus our jazz overview too.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:43pm
The Birth of Jazz???? you mean "jass"? and how it was changed to "jazz" because people would spray paint the "J" on concert posters, etc...?

True story
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic