JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Impressionism Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Impressionism Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 7:39am
This movement has clearly influenced jazz a lot, but apart from the big two - Debussy and Ravel - there are not many known composers of this period. So if you want to share your favourite pieces, promote your favourite composer or just talk about something related to this, you are welcome.

I'll start with posting the flagship of I. and maybe even the whole modern classical music. The first notes (originally played on flute) are thought to be the first wink of 20th century in music.

Edited by BlueNote - 21 Dec 2012 at 10:59am
We lay on our backs, looking at the ceiling and wondering what God had wrought when He made life so sad.
- Jean-Louis Lebris de Kerouac
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 9:16am
I like both, but Ravel more of the two.
I was trying to think of pieces by other composers that were impressionistic, possibly Holst's "Venus" from "The Planets", nice wordless vocals on that one. I also like Debussy's work with wordless vocals, I believe that is on "The Iberian Suite", its in my record collection somewhere, but sometimes it takes a while to remember or find things.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 10:26am
Its also interesting to look at those jazz musicians with a strong impressionist influence in their music, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans and Gil Evans all come to mind.
When "Birth of the Cool" first came out, critics complained that it was not jazz and was more similar to Ravel. I have a book that has some of the old reviews.
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 5:52pm
Yes, you are right. I've even heard Evans used a Debussy's prelude in the beginning in So What. The connection is very clear.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Its also interesting to look at those jazz musicians with a strong impressionist influence in their music, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans and Gil Evans all come to mind.
When "Birth of the Cool" first came out, critics complained that it was not jazz and was more similar to Ravel. I have a book that has some of the old reviews.

They also called it pompous, bomastic and pretentious. oh wait...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 5:41pm
Satie was also impressionist. In fact, one could say all of Debussy's innovations actually came from Satie. Scriabin is another well-known one. 
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 10:22am
Scriabin an impressionist? Shocked

Edited by BlueNote - 21 Dec 2012 at 10:59am
We lay on our backs, looking at the ceiling and wondering what God had wrought when He made life so sad.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 11:01am
Originally posted by BlueNote BlueNote wrote:

Scriabin impressionist? Shocked

Or so Wikipedia says Tongue. His works are very "color-based," and he exhibits some unusual harmonies for the time. Of course, Satie was the only one who totally adhered to the philosophy of impressionism. While the others painted with colors, he obscured the lines (lack of time signature and barlines, obscuring of tonality, atonality, etc.). He was also the only one of any of the impressionist composers to admit the influence of the impressionist painters on him.
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 12:12pm
Interesting, I've never looked at him like this. Thanks.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 5:27pm
Sure thing. I've always been very interested in Impressionist composers, their predecessors and successors. To breathe some fire back into this thread, a piece by Satie that was a huge influence on Debussy and Ravel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_E2j53ijag

A piece by a little known American impressionist, Charles Tomlinson Griffes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_z1ov7wJLw

And a piece by Messiaen, who can be seen as an heir to the Impressionist desk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0__tgrjTkc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic