JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews should have minimum 100 words

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews should have minimum 100 words
    Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:53am
so much to like -
kind of blue
when it's all over
Sax man
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:22pm
Agree with most. Usually when I write a review I suddenly notice that it's already 100+ words when I've only just begun. And I don't like to read long reviews, much less write them. 250-400 words is ideal to me, 100 is barely more than a haiku or a mention.
UMUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Personally I disagree. If JMA is to follow the concept ( which is think is Max and Philīs vision) of PA and MMA, itīs the streaming reviews on the frontpage thatīs the backbone of the site. The eye catcher too. I donīt think people are interested in reading reviews that are shorter than 100 words. And cīmon 100 words really isnīt much.

I guess I should elaborate and say that I feel that less than a 100 words are more of a mention than an actual review.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:45am
Unless you want to write a haiku, I think the 100 words minimum is neither exaggerate nor demanding.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 5:03am
Generally,I agree with Jonas there. There are some different reasons why people write reviews, and one of most common of them is they just want to put their opinion on paper. Nothing is wrong with this, but if there are just few sentences,like "I like it because..." or "I hate it because..." , I am not sure the readers are really interested too much in it. Why should? I expect the reader wants to see some real information, some analyses, but not just bold opinion. 100 words aren't much I believe,if you have something to say. 

Edited by snobb - 10 Apr 2011 at 6:20am
UMUR View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 4:40am
Personally I disagree. If JMA is to follow the concept ( which is think is Max and Philīs vision) of PA and MMA, itīs the streaming reviews on the frontpage thatīs the backbone of the site. The eye catcher too. I donīt think people are interested in reading reviews that are shorter than 100 words. And cīmon 100 words really isnīt much.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 3:52am
Is the minimum 100 words constriction needed in Jazz Music Archives too?
Maybe in PA it is necessary in order to restrict the influence of  the redheads who throw 5* or 1* without too much judgement  or in order to influence the tops
But here we don't have tops yet, and maybe people's conduct will be more mature.
I think that people should argue why they like or dislike an album but it shouldn't be limited to 100 words.
In the modern era we don't always have the time to read or to write long reviews, and anyway, unlikeprogressive music, for jazz you can find professional reviews for most of the album.
On  Amazon It never bothered me that sometimes people write one or two rows about an album as long as they argue why they like it or dislike it

Edited by idlero - 10 Apr 2011 at 3:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic