JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Listening Techniques

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listening Techniques
    Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 5:47pm
After listening several times to "The Cape Verdean Blues" by Horace Silver, I gave it 3.5 stars because that's what I felt like it was at the time. But returning to it months later, I've realized that it's better than that, leading me to give it 4 stars.

Now don't get me wrong, I know that it's necessary to get to know an album before reviewing/rating it. That was precisely what I did. Unfortunately I feel I may have gotten slightly sick of the album while studying it.

That leads me to my question. Do any of you have listening "techniques" that you do, that may involve reviewing an album after abandoning it for a month or so (to listen to other albums) after listening to it several times? Or do you review an album within a week of first listening to it?
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:14pm
It's art man, it's feelings, emotions, your state of mind.  Purely subjective.

One can hate an album/genre/painting/whatever for a certain time and then love it, or might never love it. There's no technique. 

One thing though, speaking of myself here, I really like to know a good bit of the artist's career and evolution before reviewing and giving an opinion, but that's just my way. Quantity of listens? It can depend. I think it's cool to write down your FIRST opinion and see how it changes with time.

I seriously doubt that all reviewers think the same way of album's they rated after a long time; sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, sometime they just stop listening to the album alltogether.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:26pm
I'd say albums I'm thinking about reviewing fall into one of 3 categorys.

1) I've heard the album a bunch, even better if I grew up with it, it will be easy to review any time.

2) Album I just bought that is in an easy and familiar style, I might need to hear it only once. A lot of funk-jazz albums are like that.

3) Difficult or elusive album that I just bought. I listened to Miles' "Birth of the Cool" almost a hundred times before I was ready to review it.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 8:55pm
I do not know how people decide rating. When I give a 0.5 star, I become careful, but I often submit a review of the music that, as a result, is familiar. However, I have complete intention about a review to some extent. For an index for people visiting the site. In any case I do not submit many reviews because I give priority to the work of the site. Tongue
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 3:07pm
For more than 90% of the albums I listen to,  the 1st impression is decisive.There are  few albums that grow on me after several auditions and some albums that bore me after repeated auditions.

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 5:50pm
Wow, really? I hardly ever have a good first listen to a random jazz album. At first it sounds like a mess of really fast notes (although I suppose it depends on the genre) and I have to keep re-listening, in which it gets better every time.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I'd say albums I'm thinking about reviewing fall into one of 3 categorys.

1) I've heard the album a bunch, even better if I grew up with it, it will be easy to review any time.

2) Album I just bought that is in an easy and familiar style, I might need to hear it only once. A lot of funk-jazz albums are like that.

3) Difficult or elusive album that I just bought. I listened to Miles' "Birth of the Cool" almost a hundred times before I was ready to review it.

I'm pretty close to this method, where there are albums I've had for fifteen years that I will eventually review with just a single listen to refresh my memory. Albums that I find harder to decide what I think about them, take many listens.

New releases are my biggest problem, in that I find that I want to take some time with a new album, but that I also feel like a new release deserves a review to be timed appropriate to its release where possible. (Of course, I can always edit a review if I change my mind down the track)
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 1:18am
I usually just listen to an album when I feel like listening and when i feel that ive listened to it enough times, i review and/or rate it
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

I usually just listen to an album when I feel like listening and when i feel that ive listened to it enough times, i review and/or rate it

I suppose I'm just over-thinking it.

-Jean Sibelius
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic