JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HIP HOP, the new be-bop?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HIP HOP, the new be-bop?
    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 12:33am
Forget the title, that's just an idea I have for a t-shirt, hehe.

Anyone is a fan? I've become one this year, after starting to like rap with a bunch of funky rock bands, hip hop really hit me with the jazzy trio BadBadNotGood which is totally instrumental, but employs the minimalistic grooves of hip hop. Oh, and I mustn't forget of DJ Shadow! Instrumental hip hop, if that exists, genius sampling and mixing.

I've mainly been listening to the 90s classic hip hop full of jazz samples, Gang Starr, Us3, De la Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, etc.. From today, guys like Eyedea and MF Doom are really inspiring. 

Let's not forget of Madlib, another instrumental hip hop producer, with the Blue Note album, Shades of Blue.

Come here and share your favorites, suggest, and request!
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 12:50am
I want to recommend Jazzanova and Talvin Singh personally. Both are in the site.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:08am
I was addicted to hip-hop in the late 80s, I love those sampled and looped James Brown beats, still do. I have hundreds of mix tapes recorded off the radio in the SF bay area that have top DJs mixing the hip-hop of the day.
Some favorites are: Public Enemy, Ice T, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD and lots of other stuff.
My interest in hip-hop dropped off when the beat changed to a less syncopated style, but I still like jazz/hip-hop fusion.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 1:47am
This is just pure class:

What d'ya think?

Edited by Abraxas - 24 Sep 2012 at 1:49am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 11:56am
^ those raps are good, but musically I still prefer that old James Brown or breakbeat type rhythm. I'll post some examples later.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 11:49pm
Here's an old favorite by EPMD
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Here's an old favorite by EPMD

That's intense sampling/groove! 

Thanks for sharing, will check out more of this.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 11:51am
LL Cool J got a lot of flak for going commercial and making some weak songs, but "Moma Said Knock You Out" rocks like a mofo.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 12:01pm
The first time anyone heard Public Enemy in the late 80s, they were immediately blown away by their intensity and sheer funky noise and barely controlled chaos. "Night of the Living Baseheads" was a whole new thing and it made quite an impression.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2012 at 7:32pm
Oh. Yes. LL Cool J and the PE are good old old school for me. "Fear of a Black Planet" is still my favorite. Probably I had compilation of Tommy Boy in about 1989, but left contents. Probably Digital Underground and Queen Latifah should have been collected.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:01pm
I'm a fan of the older rap too, but I really like BBNG thanks to Pablo, and found a lot of great stuff from Eyedeas and Abilities too. One of my students showed me Eyedeas.... suspecting I'd like em
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 4:11pm
Well, if anyone's interested, I've been doing besides some rambling on the guitar and bass, some sort-of beats that could go with some rap. 

If you recognize any of the samples, point them out! Hehe. They're not perfectly made, I primarily do these in one take.

Edited by Abraxas - 17 Dec 2012 at 4:11pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 7:52pm
Those are real nice  Cool,        ...no point in guessing the samples though, you already listed them.  Wink
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Those are real nice  Cool,        ...no point in guessing the samples though, you already listed them.  Wink

Haha, silly me! Thanks for listening.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 3:54am
Re the title... I used to laugh with my buddies that were in a group (Call Your Friends >> named after their drummer Fred Callier >> yes the US black dude) that were disillusioned with attracting a minimum crowd with their normal repertoire based mostly on Horace Silver
I had jokingly suggested them to hire a hip-hop singer and start playing bip-bop jazz... LOL 
(well I thought it was funny)... Not surprisingly, they were only mildly amused...

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 1:46pm
I'm sure there's still good stuff produced today, but I think the genre has taken a nose dive over the last few years. Even my hip-hop-loving friends rarely listen to much of it anymore, and rarely show me a new album that's good anymore. Most of them have actually moved away from hip-hop and listen to jam bands now. Weird.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 11:22am
I'll stick with the "original" bebop, if that's OK Smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 1:07pm
I'm more of a post-bop guy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic