JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazzmen Unite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazzmen Unite
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 3:45pm
Good evening.
Anyone here playing jazz (either publicly or just at home for him/herself)?

I'm a guitarist myself and I've been trying to play jazz for a while now. Most guitary are probably Django Reinhardt things and of course the great Grant Green's stuff.  But I have to say, I don't see the guitar as a worthy competition to sax and piano.

Anyway: If you have any tips on improvisation, online lessons, sheet music, tabs etc. or just experiences with playing jazz, I'd be happy to hear it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:16am
I'm a pro musician, but I don't get a lot of jazz gigs. I'm in Memphis now, but i used to work in San Francisco. In the mid-90s, the acid jazz fad in SF meant there were lots of easy gigs for jazz musicians. 
There are very few clubs for jazz in Memphis. I also like playing standards at home for the practice and just for the fun of it.
If you are looking for lead sheets, someone just dropped off a link to a great site the other day.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 4:18am
Here is the thread with all the sheet music.
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 6:42am
Oh, looks great!

Are you an "educated" jazz player? What instrument do you play?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 8:58am
I play keyboards, I guess I'm "educated" I know my theory pretty well. I have a couple students who are learning jazz from me, but I'm not really good enough to play bop/standards for money, just funky jazz, fusion, acid jazz etc.
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 9:42am
By educated I meant if you have studied jazz. You have to know your theory to play jazz, I guess. Sorry for not being clear.

Anyway: Who do you play most? Who's your favorite keyboard player?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 12:41pm
Yeah, I do know my theory pretty well, I have a masters degree in theory, but there is still a lot to learn.
My favorite keyboard players are Herbie Hancock, Sun Ra, Theolonius Monk, Herbie Nichols and all the B3 players.
I'm not a great player, but I can do decent RnB/jazz.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 7:56pm
I am not a professional musician. I only always listened to music. However, I bought a drum in the days of a junior high student and played it like a hobby. However, the self-education had a limit. I felt need to take a lesson and performed it for approximately seven years. I kept music as a hobby, but the lesson widened my small range surely. My teacher died last year, but can always meet in a site.

Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 11:26pm
I'm actually a college student studying composition (not necessarily Jazz composition) but I've been playing jazz piano for a few years now. I doubt I can provide much, but my grandfather makes jazz guitar lessons on youtube. His channel is Freddym223, I recommend checking out what he has to offer.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 2:47pm
Has anybody tried to play Grandfather's Waltz from But Beautiful album of Getz and Evans? I cannot find the lead voice anywhere :(
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 5:47pm
What exactly do you mean by "the lead voice"? Do you mean a chord chart?
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Have you tried this site, also, the term you want is lead sheet, a lead sheet is the same thing as a chord chart. A lead voice, on the other hand, has to do with how you voice chords.
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2012 at 8:44pm

Have you tried this site, also, the term you want is lead sheet, a lead sheet is the same thing as a chord chart. A lead voice, on the other hand, has to do with how you voice chords.

Lead sheet now I feel dumb, I knew that.

-Jean Sibelius
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 2:36pm
I went to that site, it doesn't have Grandfather's Waltz. Bummer.

-Jean Sibelius
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 10:11am
I'm a musician but not really a jazz musician. But that's really only cause I'm still learning, and when I get better I want to make some jazzier stuff. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Amilisom Amilisom wrote:

I went to that site, it doesn't have Grandfather's Waltz. Bummer.
I hit gold with my first two requests that were standards, so I thought I would try some fusion, but no, they didn't have "Red Baron".
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 3:42pm

Yes, I've tried that, it was the first thing I did. I'm looking for the notes sax plays, if you know what I mean. Sorry for not being clear once again.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 4:00pm
Yeah, you're looking for the melody and a typical lead sheet or chord chart would have the melody and the chord changes.
I wish I knew where else to look, I guess you tried google searches. There are many sites that offer sheet music for a price.
BlueNote View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueNote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 5:41am
Yes, I even tried to search in Swedish (since SWE seems to be the country of origin). And I found this, something I had no idea about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQut5geY5Q

Edited by BlueNote - 30 Sep 2012 at 5:42am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:57am
Interesting, I guess we should get her added to the site.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic