JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Technically Great Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westend1530 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technically Great Recordings
    Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:35am
What album do you think is technically the best album recorded? Not necessarily the best performance (although that would be a big plus), but just a great recording.

Now that I can actually hear what is recorded. I find myself listening to more technically well recorded albums. My listening tastes tends to lean towards people like Thelonious Monk and Charlie Parker, but I am trying to expand my horizons.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 9:21am
Amongst jazz records, I have always been impressed with the recording of "Money Jungle" (Ellington, Mingus, Roach) it sounds like they are right there in the room with you.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 6:06pm
Great question, I'll have a think
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:45pm
It is said that the company sent the sample to Manfred Eicher of ECM when a Japanese recordmaker releases an album of Paul Bley in old days. Because Manfred Eicher was a producer, Manfred Eicher noticed that a sample was different from a tape recording. The Japanese recordmaker seemed to try the correction of the range to let you release an album. The communication continued, but, as a result, the Japanese recordmaker got approval of ECM. Probably there will be the engineer editing an album freely like Teo Macero. However, the good collaborator understands the intention of the musician.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 7:45pm
I was surprised at the sound quality to listen to a live album of King Crimson having been recorded by DAT (digital audio tape). However, the DAT is forgotten now by people. The old jazz record had the part that a master ring is vague, but good frequency will be included in vinyl than a CD. In any case I think that it is the most comfortable to experience live even if I purchased an expensive stereo system.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 8:19pm
Many of Miles Davis' albums are quite well recorded, pick almost any studio album after 1955. "Kind of Blue", "Miles Smiles", "In A Silent Way", and "Bitches Brew" are excellent.

Dave Holland - "Prime Directive" and "Not for Nuthin", and John Coltrane - "Giant Steps" sound really good to my ears.

Fusion albums from the 70s like Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior" or Herbie Hancock - "Headhunters", "Thrust" and "Man-Child" are almost perfect recording quality. 2000s fusion albums like John Scofield - "Uberjam", Hiromi - "Time Control", and Garaj Mahal - "Blueberry Cave" are excellent.

Edited by darkshade - 11 Sep 2012 at 8:19pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:34am
ECM is widely recognized as having very high quality recordings
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:52am
Alex Machacek's 24 Tales.  Technically brilliant, and wonderfully recorded.  Very wide sound stage ...
Find me at:

http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/track/Fantasizer
New CD "Fantasizer!" out now!
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 2:19pm
I always low those three:
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
Pat Metheny Group – The Way Up
Especially the last one - improvising is a great thing when done professionally,  and it draws on some inspiration from past legends which can be heard if one is listening intently enough
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic