Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 5:17pm
"Psycho" what a classic. I love me mum too Wink

Saw "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" Good Stuff

Saw the next night a horror and cannot even remember the title. This one anyway was about a psycho paperboy who murders people. LOL What impresses me in these movies is how the female lead keeps staying in the house with murders, break ins, etc. I would have been long gone, myself
Matt
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Did you see Hollywood version or original Swedish one? I saw both and there is quite a big difference between them - I liked Swedish much more

Edited by snobb - 12 Jul 2012 at 5:34pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 5:43pm
The last movie I watched on big screen (last week) was "Two Days In New York" - Woody Allen-influenced European film about NYC (or how Europeans see it)LOL

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Did you see Hollywood version or original Swedish one? I saw both and there is quite a big difference between them - I liked Swedish much more
I got the Hollywood one Slava. I have heard the Swedish is better. Aren't most of the European originals anyway. Hollywood make great movies but they can get a bit generic at times. Still it was good but I would like to see the original.
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:23pm

Saw the next night a horror and cannot even remember the title. This one anyway was about a psycho paperboy who murders people. LOL What impresses me in these movies is how the female lead keeps staying in the house with murders, break ins, etc. I would have been long gone, myself

I remember that paperboy film I think - it was terrible, right? Smile

Yes, Psycho just has so much in the way of trailblazing too - and not just for showing the toilet flushing - which I think was just as difficult for Hitch to get past the censors as anything else in the film
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

I remember that paperboy film I think - it was terrible, right? Smile

Yes, Psycho just has so much in the way of trailblazing too - and not just for showing the toilet flushing - which I think was just as difficult for Hitch to get past the censors as anything else in the film
Shocking to say the least. The best part of the film was when it said "The End". That is the one where the daughter moves into the house after her alcoholic father is found dead at the bottom of the basement steps.

Psycho is an absolute classic. I like how Hitchcock shot it when she first takes off with the money. It would not be the same in colour. Raging Bull is another. Black and White films are not appreciated by the youngies today. We had to watch them because everything was black and white on television when I was a kid. Still don't know how I watched sport in black and white. That is one thing that colour improved.
Matt
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 11:22am
didn't like

anyway, great performance of Natalie Portman
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 4:03am
Last weekend watched on big screen Woody Allen's new movie "To Rome With Love". Classic Allen, already usual for him European destination (not Paris but Rome this time), lot of his usual tricks, but film is not boring at all. I like Allen's films even if he started to repeat himself too often

to-rome-with-love.jpg

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2012/06/woody-allen-to-rome-with-love.html#ixzz26FEI0Ml7

Edited by snobb - 12 Sep 2012 at 4:06am
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 11:50am
Last films I've watched:

Bananas by Woody Allen: early Allen is pretty fun, more bizarre, very 70's-ish with the music and topics. Recommended.

Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard: one of the classics of the French New Wave. The acting is great, it's not very experimental as later Godard films, so I think anyone with a tiny interest in Cinema can enjoy this. Simple plot with great scenes and dialogues. 

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 2:54pm
Also, just watched:

That Obscure Object of Desire by Luis Buñuel: I was surprised by how down-to-earth it was, I thought it would be a surreal fest like the movies he did not long before this. It was good, interesting (and innovating) that there are two actresses for one role. Pretty minimalistic in characters and plot, very few social/political/religious criticism.

Yep, Buñuel, Allen and Godard are favourites of mine. I should go on and watch stuff I haven't seen at all haha, like Hitchock, Truffaut, etc. Oh dear.
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:33pm
I recently saw the film "Flight", it was alright, I like Denzel Washington. Has anyone else seen it?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:39pm
No, I don't go to many movies these days. 
Did the plane go upside down?!?! Shocked
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 7:53pm
Yeah, it did. It was pretty neat.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:00pm
That would about do it for me and flying, that's quite an image. LOL

I was in an airport lobby in Atlanta once and they were showing a movie at the bar that had a plane crashing through the airport and I thought what a weird movie to show people who are about to get on a plane. the bartender agreed with me, but i can't remember if he changed the channel or not.
bytor2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytor2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2012 at 8:09pm
LOL That's bizarre, I'm not a huge fan of flying anyway. So seeing that kind of thing would probably send me home. 
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 1:50am
The last movie I watched was " 7 Psychopaths"  (a few weeks ago). Mix of Tarantino and Guy Ritchie, one of seven psycho is Tom Waits ( a guy with white rabbit) 

Edited by snobb - 04 Dec 2012 at 1:51am
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:24pm
I saw The Hobbit a couple weeks ago. To be honest I was pretty disappointed.

On another note, I saw the Tarantino movie "Django Unchained", and was surprised at how much I liked it. It's certainly not for everybody, though. Lots of blood.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Amilisom Amilisom wrote:

I saw The Hobbit a couple weeks ago. To be honest I was pretty disappointed.

On another note, I saw the Tarantino movie "Django Unchained", and was surprised at how much I liked it. It's certainly not for everybody, though. Lots of blood.

LOL That sounds like Tarantino, huh? I'm interested in seeing Django Unchained, absolutely.

I think the Hobbit might be a bit disappointing for me, personally - for one, as I don't think it needs to be a trilogy. But I'll go see it and have a look, what was it specifically that you didn't enjoy, Amilisom? The acting? CGI? Did they change too much?

Curious, as I reckon I'll go see it soon
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 2:08am
The two below are from PA:

The Mission.

Simplicity + Essence = Brilliance.

This one is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant in every way. Many ideas in this film are delivered visually and verbally in a very simple, yet thought-out fashion. Now, I don't really know how accurate are the details about the customs of the natives, their appearances, and such in the film, so I don't find myself eligible to discuss this particular part. The rest of the film is just something one cannot pin down. The script is downright-solid, no bulls$%t. I just wish I could quote oh-so-many lines. And it's like as if a couple of characters could read my mind on the issue of cultural conversion. Morricone was definitely the man for the soundtrack job. Of course, De Niro and Irons were the ... (ahem ... I'm not gonna use the word "stars"; I'm gonna go with "excellent lead actors") ... excellent lead actors who really put their effort into the parts they were doing. The camera work was adequate (the sole Oscar-winner for the film, though). The landscapes were simply gorgeous. The battle scene was done with utter sense of humanity, but it's not the only exclamation mark in the whole movie.

Overall, top-notch.  This guy Roland Joffé surely knew how to shoot a good one.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - 12 Jan 2013 at 2:09am
“… Miles often looked back but he always moved forwards. … Because the only thing you've got is your creative basis, your memory.” – Ian Carr (Miles Davis’ biographer).
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 2:08am
Unbreakable.

A very puzzling affair that might have been intended by the scriptwriter/producer/director of the work M. Night Shyamalan as an attempt to make a very realistic sci-fi-based drama, but, of course, I may be wrong about his intentions. There seem to be somewhat convoluted ideas diluted in what at first thought may seem like filler, whereas those "filler" scenes simply function as links between the more important ones. Also, it appears that the mastermind behind the film wanted to bring out certain issues such as family problems, the presence and the functioning of the mentally ill in our society, and such. But to what end? And if I'm wrong, then, in the end, I have no idea what all this "superhero in the real world" stuff means.

Did I like the movie overall? I thought it was OK, though I want to believe that its quality is beyond my enjoyment.
“… Miles often looked back but he always moved forwards. … Because the only thing you've got is your creative basis, your memory.” – Ian Carr (Miles Davis’ biographer).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic