JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 2:15am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

didn't like

anyway, great performance of Natalie Portman
I just hated it ... but yes, Natty did a very good job.
“… Miles often looked back but he always moved forwards. … Because the only thing you've got is your creative basis, your memory.” – Ian Carr (Miles Davis’ biographer).
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2013 at 3:39am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Originally posted by Amilisom Amilisom wrote:

I saw The Hobbit a couple weeks ago. To be honest I was pretty disappointed.

On another note, I saw the Tarantino movie "Django Unchained", and was surprised at how much I liked it. It's certainly not for everybody, though. Lots of blood.
LOL That sounds like Tarantino, huh? I'm interested in seeing Django Unchained, absolutely. I think the Hobbit might be a bit disappointing for me, personally - for one, as I don't think it needs to be a trilogy. But I'll go see it and have a look, what was it specifically that you didn't enjoy, Amilisom? The acting? CGI? Did they change too much? Curious, as I reckon I'll go see it soon

First of all, they attempted to combine the original light-hearted tone of the Hobbit book with the darker tone of the Lord of the Rings. The result was silly and strange at times, and led to too much unnecessary corny violence (almost slapstick humor, in a way) that wasn't in the book. Also added was a man-to-man conflict between Thorin Oakenshield and some random Ork leader who looks like the character Killface from the show Frisky Dingo. Now, I would be fine with this Ork leader if he were a cool bad guy that actually had substance to him. In this case, he's terribly one-dimensional.

For the sake of making three films, they incorporated extra elements of a side-plot that somebody told me came from Tolkien's unpublished works. I personally felt like it took away from the original simplicity of the original Hobbit story.

Then there's the music. From what I remembered hearing, the music seemed to be just recycled material from the Lord of the Rings. Theme variation is fine by me, but there were specific moments that in my opinion almost ruined the original soundtrack by applying them to less-epic scenes.

But this is just me being a picky critic, and as my signature says at the bottom of every post...
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 4:44pm
Watched "Django Unchained" earlier today - great Tarantino work, really better than Kill Bill for example
Amilisom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amilisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2013 at 3:33pm
Did anyone see the French silent film "The Artist" that came out last year? The movie takes place in California from 1927-1933ish and the soundtrack is really good. Very American sounding, in fact.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say; there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-Jean Sibelius
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 2:53pm

great concept, could have been a great movie, somehow it gets lost on the way...
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 3:29pm
Watched "Trance" last week - neo-noir thriller, not great but better than you can expect

Edited by snobb - 23 Jun 2013 at 3:30pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 12:23pm

Watched Mexican filmmaker Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu "Birdman" earlier today - in small art-cinema with just 70+ seats,no pop-corn and pleasant luxury to take cup of coffee(china,no plastic) with you from inside cafe right to the film. Excellent story about Broadway (and partially Hollywood) backstage with some colorful New York atmosphere.  Michael Keaton (who I generally don't like from Batman times) was great, but biggest surprise was a great music - all movie is full of perfectly recorded in 5.1 format Mexican drummer Antonio Sanchez (member of Pat Metheny Group) solos, lyrical,cinematic and very right in place. Sanchez plays himself (or better to say just plays drums when filmed) more than once in different film moments and he/his music is important part of that special Broadway/New Your atmosphere. On return home just find out that movie soundtrack was released last year  by Milan Records

Birdman (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

Edited by snobb - 13 Feb 2017 at 1:23am
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 1:22am
Miles Ahead

Gorgeous, refreshingly honest tapestry of the grandmaster at his best and worst, lovingly led and directed by Don Cheadle in one of the finest impersonations I've ever seen.   Full of the best of Davis' music and frantically paced, Miles Ahead is a deep long drink from a bottle of the hard stuff and will appeal to both jazz lovers and non fans.

Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 11:28pm
Doctor Strange

Benedict Cumberbatch does his best American accent as Stephen Strange, brilliant surgeon who is taught the astrodimensional arts by an ancient mystic after suffering a career-ending accident.   Tilda Swinton is perfectly cast as the mysterious Ancient One and Mads Mikkelsen never better as evil Kaecilius.   Filled with spectacular Escher-like visuals and a powerful score, Doctor Strange may be forgiven its fairly simple plot and is among a handful of films I would recommend seeing in 3D (if not IMAX).   Easily the best fantasy-adventure of the year, maybe the best thing from Marvel Studios so far.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:20am
Watched yesterday night -  

another Jim Jarmusch (the director of "Coffee And Cigarettes" among many others) nice small movie - this time about bus driver in small American town Paterson (filmed in real Paterson,NJ). Paterson is not only the name of town but driver's name as well. Meditative story about small place where happens nothing or lot of small things depending on point of view.  And yes - bus driver writes a poetry...

"Patterson" received some European nominations and prizes, not sure about American critics/films lovers

Paterson (film).png

Edited by snobb - 13 Feb 2017 at 1:22am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:29am
American neo-western "Hell Or High Water" as part of annual Vilnius Film Festival program. Two brothers robber banks in small town in nowadays rural Texas. Two Texas rangers (one of them - Jeff Bridges) try to catch them. Classic story, classic movie - fortunately without even trying to look like 60s-70s remake. Great music- country and other Americana, great sound. The movie is really better than it looks on paper.

Biggest impression - how modern rural Texas is similar to Texas from half of century ago. By some new trucks and LCD TV sets one can understand that everything happens in XXI century, but small towns, people houses, clothes, way of thinking - all didn't changed at all for decades. Some nice humor scenes too.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 1:52pm
"Free Fire" - C-list movie with Scorsese as executive producer, bold and fun, Tarantino-influenced but far not same class. Nice 70s fashion, great sound, some nice music, from Creedence to free jazz sax improvs 

Edited by snobb - 29 Apr 2017 at 1:52pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 10:34am
Related image

quite interesting movie about rural America (seriously doubt if someone in the world is still interested in LA/"American dream"/"big city lights" kind of production) with roots,Joan Baez/country music, humor and far not so simply questions/ansvers as it looks from the surface

Edited by snobb - 24 Feb 2018 at 10:39am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 2:46pm
it looks already everything has been said about racial discrimination in US in last century but "Green Book" is a movie that does it its own way

great music, very intimate story, lot of humor and heart - it works

pollcockins View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pollcockins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 6:47am
I like horror movies, now re-watching this 

A Quiet Place

STORYLINE: A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound. source 

Totally enjoyed this one and I pray they make a sequel! Very emotional!

Also Halloween (2018) is worth watching if you love horrors. 

Edited by pollcockins - 22 Feb 2019 at 6:53am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 3:15pm
Quentin Tarantino new movies don't come too often so every new one is an event (or not). "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" is a long (two and half hour) and it's better then many of his works from last few decades. Dedicated to life around Hollywood in 1969 (at least like it sees Tarantino) contains a lot of great music from that time, but most important - it is quite detailed view on California ca.1969

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2019 at 4:12am
"The Joker" for me has always been Jack Nicholson in a movie from few decades ago, the times were different all around and what is more important I was much younger. It looked I can't imagine just who could be the another "Joker", better than that.

Yesterday I watched the newest one, didn't expect a lot. I was wrong. New "Joker" is a dark multilayered story rising plenty of questions and offering no answers.

The psycho working as street clown is beaten on the street by black teenagers, and later - by white middle class young guys. He lives with his old and ill mother and he loses the job. He got a gun from his job colleague and he uses it killing three attackers. He finds out by chance from his mother that he's a (secret) son of powerful politician trying to become a city mayor and then he realizes that it's just a her crazy fantasy. As well he finds out that his beloved mother was judged because of torturing him and he isn't really a her son, he's adapted. Than he kills the mother...

There are no POSITIVE characters in a movie, poor people are jealous liars,destroying everything around and enjoying killing others. Rich guys are arrogant,heartless liars too.

Street riots destroyed the city and the Joker finishes in psychiatric clinic. No future at all ...

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 7:32am
New experience - watching the movie in cinema at New Year's night. The choice of the film was quite successful - French movie about modern time and even more - their golden age - "La Belle Epoque".

Seasoned spouses are not happy living together. She is a psychologist with private practice and he -  caricaturist, fired from the newspaper which closes physical edition for internet one.

She drives Tesla and enjoys modern technologies and he's all in his younger years, the 70s. Then, he got the chance to participate in reality happening which brings participants to the time they can chose. He asks for 1974 and big part of the movie shows us how great/strange/different the 70s were.

Lot of 70s France atmosphere around - a bit too theatrical, but who cares... Fanny Ardant still looks great after all these decades

Edited by snobb - 02 Jan 2020 at 7:33am
madisondaviiss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madisondaviiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
I love to watch horror movies

Recently I watched "UnderWater"

Edited by js - 12 Apr 2020 at 8:58am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:58am
^ I fixed your link. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic