JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nils for post-fusion contemporary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nils for post-fusion contemporary
    Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 8:29am
http://www.nilsmusic.com

Edited by zdunne - 09 Apr 2011 at 8:29am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:01am
approved  Thumbs Up
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:34am
Cool.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:39am
Yknow, I was about to start a thread clarifying what Post-Fusion Contemporary was, seeing as how this band is kind of "smooth", but then I saw that they were added under Pop/Crossover.

I was going to say, I thought Post-Fusion was, for example, artists who had jazz-fusion tendencies but leaned more post-bop or hard-bop, OR classic fusion artists who after the 70s did some fusion but depending on the album, wasn't considered "Classic Fusion".

Maybe we should have a thread to explain certain sub genres. Not that the definitions on the site aren't clear, but more in-depth may help.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:19pm
A lot of Post Fusion Contemporary could be described as fusion crossed with smooth jazz, and a lot of it could be described as Post Bop played with a fusion influence. Some of the bands defy easy explanations, it can be a sort of grab bag genre unfortunately.
Generally though, it leans towards smooth jazz a bit.

Edited by js - 09 Apr 2011 at 12:21pm
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

A lot of Post Fusion Contemporary could be described as fusion crossed with smooth jazz, and a lot of it could be described as Post Bop played with a fusion influence. Some of the bands defy easy explanations, it can be a sort of grab bag genre unfortunately.

This is Post-Fusion Contemporary, right?:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:24pm
^ that leans a bit towards Contemp, but it doesn't have that smooth jazz compressed sound, I would label that Classic Fusion.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:32pm

^ that leans a bit towards Contemp, but it doesn't have that smooth jazz compressed sound, I would label that Classic Fusion.

Oh ok, I'm lost then. Embarrassed
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:49pm
Think of Post Fusion Contemp as a sort of relaxed smooth jazz version of fusion.
Some of our Contemp artists push that direction even closer to fusion, some things are on such a borderline they are hard to call.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 12:54pm

Think of Post Fusion Contemp as a sort of relaxed smooth jazz version of fusion.
Some of our Contemp artists push that direction even closer to fusion, some things are on such a borderline they are hard to call.

But if that's the case, why is Hiromi's non pure fusion albums in Post? I mean, I don't really hear much differences between that Earthoworks album and Hiromi like this:

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:00pm
I have to agree, I would not call Earthworks or Hiromi's non-Classic Fusion albums "smooth", however they fit the description of post-bop/contemporary with fusion tendencies

New thread?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I have to agree, I would not call Earthworks or Hiromi's non-Classic Fusion albums "smooth", however they fit the description of post-bop/contemporary with fusion tendencies

New thread?

That's my point.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:37pm
The two videos you played are Classic Fusion, I don't know about the albums you bring up and I didn't label them either.

A lot of Contemp artists are going to be more smooth in the studio, but more energetic live.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:43pm
Hiromi has two different projects - Hiromi's Sonicbloom (with David Fiuczynski) on guitar, which is generally classic fusion project, and her solo albums, which are post-fusion/contemporary jazz. Samples from above are Sonicbloom compositions.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Hiromi has two different projects - Hiromi's Sonicbloom (with David Fiuczynski) on guitar, which is generally classic fusion project, and her solo albums, which are post-fusion/contemporary jazz. Samples from above are Sonicbloom compositions.

No, they are not. XYZ and Double Personality are from Hiromi's debut, Another Mind. Although they are played live with Sonicbloom, the compositions are not much changed.

So, what is it? Fusion or Post Contemporary?

Edited by Abraxas - 09 Apr 2011 at 2:56pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 2:56pm
I have Another Mind and Brain, and they are both a mix between classic fusion, and post-fusion/contemporary. I think Spiral is like that as well, Im not sure, but I'll be picking that up within the week
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 3:12pm
Ok, David Fiuczynski played on her debut as well. I'm speaking about the difference between her solo/guitarless albums and Sonicbloom. The matter is her albums are generally of two different musical genres - classic fusion and post fusion/contemporary jazz. I believe you can hear the difference, if you heard them both.

BTW, her newest album, The Voice, is a bit different again - guitar-less trio (with Simon Phillips on drums) plays classic fusion.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

No, they are not. XYZ and Double Personality are from Hiromi's debut, Another Mind. Although they are played live with Sonicbloom, the compositions are not much changed.

As I said before, the two videos you posted here are Classic Fusion.
Is there an album of her's that you think is mis-labeled?
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 7:09pm

Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

As I said before, the two videos you posted here are Classic Fusion.
Is there an album of her's that you think is mis-labeled?

If you think those videos are Classic Fusion, then Another Mind should be Classic Fusion and not Post Contemp.

If both Hiromi (most of her discog with classic line-up, not necessarily Sonicbloom) and Earthworks are Classic Fusion fine for me, I just found it odd that one was considered different than the other.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 2:04am
Do you have any cuts or partial cuts from the album I could check out. I know a lot of her music is right in between the two genres (Contemp and Fusion).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic