Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thelonious Monk Institute to be renamed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thelonious Monk Institute to be renamed
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:16am

Thelonious Monk Institute to be renamed ‘The Herbie Hancock Institute of Jazz’

The Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz, established in 1986 in Washington DC, will change its name in 2019 to become ‘The Herbie Hancock Institute of Jazz’. The Board of Trustees announced the news yesterday following a conversation with representatives of the Monk Estate. Apparently the decision was unanimous, as they praised the legendary pianist and 14-time Grammy winner for his “immense contributions to and impact on music, education and humanity”. Hancock has been the Chairman of the Institute for the last 15 years, he’s a UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador and founder of International Jazz Day held every April 30th.

Herbie said, “Having the Institute named in my honor is tremendously humbling and represents a profound moment for my family and me. I’m looking forward to continuing in my role as Institute Chairman and carrying on and expanding the organization’s important worldwide jazz education and humanitarian initiatives.”

The Institute’s mission is to offer the world’s most promising young musicians college level training by internationally acclaimed jazz masters and to present public school music education programs for young people around the world. All of the Institute’s programs are provided free of charge to students, schools and communities worldwide. The Institute says its mission is to preserve, perpetuate and expand jazz as a global art form, and utilise jazz as a means to unite people of all ages, backgrounds and nationalities. Read the full announcement here.

from www.jazzfm.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic