Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Hamiet Bluiett (1940-2018)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Hamiet Bluiett (1940-2018)
    Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 9:40am

Peter Bacon reports:

Baritone saxophonist Hamiet Bluiett died yesterday morning, 4 October, after a long illness. His grand daughter Anaya had previously raised funds towards his recovery via Fundraiser, explaining that he been hospitalised following numerous strokes and seizures.

Hamiet Bluiett, born in East St. Louis, Brooklyn, Illinois, on 16 September 1940, played in the U.S. Navy band and then with Charles Mingus, Sam Rivers and many others in the late 1960s and early ‘70s. But it is as co-founder and long-time member of the World Saxophone Quartet that he will best be remembered.

Fellow WSQ member Tony Kofi paid tribute via social media to: “one of the world’s greatest baritone saxophonists. My teacher, my friend, my mentor. You treated my like a son and always looked after me on the road. I will miss you dearly, thank you for your musical guidance. Safe travels.”

LINK: Jazz writer Dean Minderman posted an obituary on St Louis Jazz Notes

from  www.londonjazznews.com

Edited by snobb - 05 Oct 2018 at 9:44am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 12:27pm
Now there's someone who shows up on a lot of records I like.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic