JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Deep Energy Orchestra Feat. Selvaganesh of Shakti
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deep Energy Orchestra Feat. Selvaganesh of Shakti

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Energy Orchestra Feat. Selvaganesh of Shakti
    Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:56am
Bassist Jason Everett to Release New Live Album With Deep Energy Orchestra Feat. Trey Gunn of King Crimson & Selvaganesh of Shakti

World-class musicians record intimate performance concert blending classical music, jazz, rock, and Indian fusion

During the first week of October 2017, world-class musicians from many genres came together in an ambitious project…to record and perform a full night of music…in a week. The Deep Energy Orchestra were brought together by local composer and fretless bassist, Jason Everett who had been named an “Artist in Residence” by the prestigious non-profit Jack Straw Cultural Center in Seattle, WA. The project captured high-quality audio and video performances of his compositions which are inspired by his love for classical, jazz and Indian Fusion music. The live recording took place at Jack Straw Cultural Center, located in the University District, over a two day period.

Says Jason, “I love instrumental music, and started as a classical musician at eight. I was playing jazz clubs professionally at sixteen, and feel in love with Indian music at eighteen. This project is an exciting culmination of that history and my love for those musical styles.”  

Another well-known musician in the project who plays an unusual instrument is Trey Gunn, who is best known for his work with King Crimson and the Security Project. “I was really excited to play with Trey…we are both bassists with extended range instruments who play melodically; so we were able to trade off roles as lead and rhythm players,” explained Jason. “Trey is really exciting to watch as he is performing on his Warr Guitar which is a 12-string instrument that he plays almost like a piano.” 

“I was surprised how easily these pieces flowed out of us when rehearsing and recording. It is a clear testament to Jason's writing that music this challenging felt so natural.” - Trey Gunn

Also featured on the album is Indian musician Selvaganesh, best known for his work with Shakti, John McLaughlin and Jonas Helborg, who plays kanjira and his custom drum kit. 

“It is my pleasure to be part of Deep Energy Orchestra, everyone was flying, especially Trey!  I had a great time playing the music and was impressed with Jason’s pieces, especially those in odd-meters. This is one of my favourite groups!” - Selvaganesh

More-strings-than-usual might be a theme for this group as lead violinist Radhika Iyer, from San Francisco played her seven-string electric violin and Everett himself is known for his unique seven-string fretless bass. Other local musicians who rounded out the sound included tabla player Anil Prasad, and classical musicians, Rachel Nesvig on violin, Aleida Gehrels on viola, and Phil Hirschi on cello.

Jason Everett (aka Mister E) is a performer, composer, and producer who plays a variety of stringed and percussive instruments with his primary instruments being his seven-string fretless bass and acoustic six-string bass. Jason attended Northern Arizona University on a full scholarship for bassoon and started playing jazz professionally at sixteen years old.

Jason has played music outside of the mainstream for most of his career including with the avant-garde space-jazz ensemble, Little Green Men; Flamenco fusion groups, Machete’, Deseo Carmin, and Acoustic Fantasy; world fusion groups, Avaaza, Tarana, and Andre Feriante; and Kirtan artists, Gina Sala’ and Girish. Jason has also been recently performing and recording with Bay Area world jazz fusion groups, Facing East and Ancient Future. Jason has created his own groups including Taal Maya, a Shakti inspired Indian fusion project and Pandamonium, which is described as “Prog Rock Jazz Funk.”  

“Jason Everett's intonation on his signature 7-string fretless bass is exemplary, and he is a well-spring of melodies and musical ideas. Keep your eyes and ears out for Jason Everett aka Mister E!” - Stu Hamm

Jason's recording work has recently included producing a four-movement, 20-minute composition called “Moksha: The Elimination of All Duality” that features world-class artists including Selvaganesh (Shakti, Masters of Percussion), Fareed Haque (director of Jazz Studies at Northern Illinois University), Suhail Yusuf Khan, Radhakrisna Neyvili, Vishal Nagar, and Ujwal Nagar.

Jason is also performing as a solo bass artist and has recently performed at NAMM (the National Association of Music Manufacturers) convention in LA, the International Solo Bass Competition hosted by bass amplifier manufacturer, Phil Jones Bass in NY, and as a headliner for Bass Bash in Denver, CO for the last several years.

Finally, Jason was name an Artist in Residence by Seattle non-profit, Jack Straw Cultural Center for 2017 and recorded his new album, “Playing With Fire” which is due for release October 2018 and has recently started a new collaboration with the Seattle Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra who have commissioned Jason to arrange his music from the “Playing With Fire” album for their full chamber orchestra. Jason is an endorsed artist for Bartolini Pickups, Kalium Strings and Conklin Guitars, who have created a signature model instrument for Jason called, the “OM Bass.”

“Jason's impressive bass work will dazzle, but his playing transcends the instrument to become a pure source of expression. His compositions are equally full of wonder and atmosphere for a sonic journey. A top-notch musician!” - Kevin Johnson No Treble Bass Magazine

In closing Jason has this to impart, “My music is a combination of the styles that move me. Classical, Jazz, Groove, Funk, Prog Rock, and World music (particularly Indian and Flamenco). Music is a language and it is always amazing when musicians from different genres and training can come together to create something new, unique and beautiful. My music is nearly always instrumental, and often in odd-meters.”

To purchase Deep Energy Orchestra's “Playing With Fire”: https://deepenergyorchestra.bandcamp.com/

For more information:
www.deepenergyorchestra.com
www.facebook.com/deepenergyorchestra

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158, [email protected] 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic