JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Giants.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz Giants.
    Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 4:56am
which Jazz artists do you think are worthy of this title and why
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:46am
The 'why' on each of these artists is the same;
1. Genius
2. Creativity
3. Unique
4. Influential
This is a partial list, there are more.

Louie Armstrong
Fletcher Henderson
Duke Ellington
Coleman Hawkins
Art Tatum
Thelonious Monk
Lester Young
Billie Holliday
Charlie Parker
Dizzie Gillespie
Max Roach
Charles Mingus
Bill Evans
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Tony Williams
Eddie Palmieri 
Cecil Taylor
Erik Dolphy
Sun Ra
Anthony Braxton
Henry Threadgill
Craig Taborn
Matthew Shipp

Edited by js - 06 Sep 2018 at 7:46pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:34pm
Pretty much as js says above but with the addition of Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. Horace Silver may have got them of the ground with the first recordings but it was Art who provided the training school and put Hard bop on the map.

Monk as mentioned above with his compositions.

Louis Armstrong mentioned above as well for showing the world how to play cornet and trumpet with improvision inserted. Jazz wouldn't have been Jazz without him.

Still if Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Wes Montgomery, Keith Jarrett, Grant Green, Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, Herbie Hancock were mentioned I wouldn't argue

Not musicians but still legends, Norman Granz for Verve Jazz label and Jazz At The Philarmonic, Alfred Lion for Blue Note records, George Aviakan and Teo Macero ( Columbia) Rudy Van Gelder for his recordings and Manfred Eicher for showcasing European Jazz with his ECM Label.
Matt
Mellotronjazz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:21am
I agree with all these however i would have to say that George Lewis, Pete Fountain and Jelly Roll Morton should be up there. The Reason i asked is because i made a playlist and i wanted someone of the biggest names on there. let me know what you think of the artist I've added in.

https://open.spotify.com/user/3n6c2suuf3rltlk8ys7lym43f/playlist/6gkkzNzTshqSKnVAP5laJZ?si=2SnKM4IVQZqgoqIGt6AoHg
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:27am
^ Considering the three you just named, there is also Sidney Bechet.
I'm sorry, but I do not have spotify, so I could not see the list.

All the people Matt mentioned are 'giants' too. Probably the biggest omission from my list was Ornette, his influence is huge.

Edited by js - 07 Sep 2018 at 2:29am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:39am
That's fair, well apart from all mentioned above the few other i have on the playlist not mentioned is; McCoy Tyner, Benny Goodman, King Oliver, Clarence Williams.

On another note i don't see many women mentioned, how do you feel about early women of jazz as they're such big influences for me but extremely underrated in my opinion; Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Mary Lou Williams ect..
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:48am
The three women you mentioned are fine, also early blues singers like Bessie Smith. My list did include Billie Holliday. 
Miriam McPartland was an outstanding piano player, so is Joanne Brackeen.
Mary Halvorson is a top guitar player and composer in today's scene. Also Esperanza Spaulding on bass, vocals and composition.

Edited by js - 07 Sep 2018 at 2:49am
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotronjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 2:58am
I love Bessie Smith another big influence for me. I haven't heard of the others you mentioned or that i am aware of so i will give them a listen now thank you!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 1:48pm
Yes I did miss Ella Fitzgerald and Anita O"Day should have a mention as well. Agree about Jelly Roll Morton. 

Matt
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:42pm
I have a list as follows:
Saxophonist - Hank Mobley
Trumpeter - Kenny Dorham
Pianist - Art Tatum
Saxophonist - Sonny Stitt
Trumpet / Flugelhorn - Art Farmer
Jazz Guitarist - Lenny Breau
Jazz Drummer - Elvin Jones
Stopbyforjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stopbyforjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 9:56pm
You may want to check out a fella named-Dave Brubeck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic