Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beginner’s Guide to Free Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginner’s Guide to Free Jazz
    Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 11:57am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 12:19pm
Heh, not bad. I'm reading some of it, and it's interesting to read the "FAQ".

I also liked this:

“I go out onstage, and my intention is to make the first four rows bleed from their ears.”
-Sonny Sharrock

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 5:35pm
This is a great resource and I think a lot of people would enjoy these samples, but I am surprised the web site is calling all of these samples "free jazz". There is actually a real interesting variety of various AG styles of jazz, as well as AG leaning fusion, which in the long run is probably more interesting to most people than endless samples of pure free jazz.

In short, I think a lot of people who may have thought this was all free jazz should check this out, there is some very nice music here.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 5:57pm
I have always been inclined to keep the Avante's all together. I know there is a difference with Free, Fusion and normal Avante but I do keep them under the same hat pretty much. Free is Avante anyway for me.
How many sub genres of sub genres are there out there?
Great site page, Slava. I will be back myself soon to play a couple of samples.

Sometimes the Avante sounds fairly straight to me these days, just like normal Jazz . What happened to my tastes Big smile

The only  family member that has a slight leaning towards Avante is suprisingly my son but that may have more of a connection to the Metal that he enjoys and plays.

The rest of the family hate it and I do not play Avante when my wife is home. She is not a fan but she is into the Bop's

Likes Miles and Art Blakey. After "My Favourite Things" with Coltrane she is gone. Even hates The Vanguard stuff. Reckons it is a screaming noise.

How do all you get on at home. Are you the only one?
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 6:01pm
I wouldn't make a lot of people listen to a lot of the music I like, ha ha, I have mix tapes that work well with anybody, but the twelve tone serial electronics and Sun Ra, that's just for me.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 6:10pm
The term free jazz is misused by a lot of people. Pure free jazz is something that happened mostly in the 60s and 70s, It involved free blowing without concerns for tonality or overt structure.
Some people still play pure free jazz, but most avant-garde jazz musicians today mix free jazz with all sorts of things, particularly composed elements, world music influences, etc, free jazz is a subset of avant-garde, but avant-garde can be more than free jazz while still using free jazz as part of its arsenal. 
Also, its not uncommon for a hard bop or fusion jam to build into free areas. That's what a lot of those samples are.

Edited by js - 12 Jul 2012 at 6:27pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The term free jazz is misused by a lot of people. Pure free jazz is something that happened mostly in the 60s, it was an important and necessary phase for jazz to go through. It involved free blowing without concerns for tonality or overt structure.
Some people still play pure free jazz, but most avant-garde jazz musicians today mix free jazz with all sorts of things, particularly composed elements, world music influences, etc. Also, its not uncommon for a hard bop or fusion jam to build into free areas. That's what a lot of those samples are.
That's where Ornie comes in John. "Free Jazz" actually it is my fave of his but I have to be in the moodCool Does it get any more "Out There". Of course everybody here is asking to hear something else Unhappy
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 6:25pm
Ornette's "Free Jazz" is a cool record, but jazz got even more free after that one.
To me, the appeal of Ornette's concept on that record is how he brought back the original jazz concept, but not in a corny way. One of the most important records in the history of jazz and fun to listen to, lots of humor and good times. Eric and Freddie are great, and what about that bizarre double double bass solo.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Ornette's "Free Jazz" is a cool record, but jazz got even more free after that one.
To me, the appeal of Ornette's concept on that record is how he brought back the original jazz concept, but not in a corny way. One of the most important records in the history of jazz and fun to listen to, lots of humor and good times. Eric and Freddie are great, and what about that bizarre double double bass solo.
I love how the cacophony of it all comes from left and right with the two bands. Crazy stuff but great as well.
I don't say cacophany in a negative way.....It makes it
"The Ornette Coleman DOUBLE Quartet"  they say two is better than one.Cool
Matt
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

The rest of the family hate it and I do not play Avante when my wife is home. She is not a fan but she is into the Bop's

Likes Miles and Art Blakey. After "My Favourite Things" with Coltrane she is gone. Even hates The Vanguard stuff. Reckons it is a screaming noise.

How do all you get on at home. Are you the only one?

I can't play much that is too frantic out loud when my wife is home, she doesn't like much jazz outside the cool genre, and even then, it's a select few. But then, that's what headphones are for hahaha Wink
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic