0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 9 'My Funny Valentines'
    Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 2:28am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ yeah, I don't care for Herbie's version, its Funny Valentine, not a Piano Concerto Ermm.

Yeah, you got a pointWink, but MFV was never a fave track of mine... so Hancock's version is the one I preferred (didn't hear all the samples, though)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:10pm
Hahaha!
Yeah, I know what you're saying.    I've only had a quick listen to 'Desmond Blue' so far, and I remember the other arrangements to be fairly laden too. But often I like that, will have to keep listening to decide. The trouble is, right now I've been distracted by his 'Take Ten' which seems to have more latin influence, which I'm enjoying.

Also the Brubeck's Jazz Impressions of Japan, really, really enjoying that one.

One more from Wynton - playing it 'kinda blue' as it were

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 26 Jun 2012 at 8:11pm
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:55pm
^ yeah, I don't care for Herbie's version, its Funny Valentine, not a Piano Concerto Ermm
Paul Desmond gets a little carried away too.

Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Chet Baker for me, but I love the version with vocals

Excellent idea, I'll have to do a vocal one next!

Originally posted by js js wrote:

I like the Miles version, he transforms that pretty ballad into his own personal dark seance, ha, ...that takes vision.
The Grant Green version is nice, not too sentimental, he brings out the hidden blues in the song.
The rest range from OK to not so OK. My least favorite versions are the ones where they try to make this tune into high art.

Although I'm more of an RnB player, I'll work on standards to help build my skills. "Valentine" is not one of my favorites, but its easier to play than most others, so I've played it a bunch over the years. I'll even venture it live as background music, if no one is paying too much attention, ha.

Yeah, Miles had a knack for making songs kinda evil, huh?
I like Grant's one too, the flute, I haven't heard a heap of versions with flute. Still my fav is Oscar's, it sounds fun, you know?
With the 'high art' are you thinkin Herbie's one from this list here?
I reckon it'd be an ace song to play, distinctive etc - especially to sing?  Have you had anyone recognise it when you've tried to sneak it in?
Reviews...
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 3:37pm
I like the Miles version, he transforms that pretty ballad into his own personal dark seance, ha, ...that takes vision.
The Grant Green version is nice, not too sentimental, he brings out the hidden blues in the song.
The rest range from OK to not so OK. My least favorite versions are the ones where they try to make this tune into high art.

Although I'm more of an RnB player, I'll work on standards to help build my skills. "Valentine" is not one of my favorites, but its easier to play than most others, so I've played it a bunch over the years. I'll even venture it live as background music, if no one is paying too much attention, ha.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 2:47pm
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 9:46am
Nice poll Ashley, I will check it out later.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 9:15am
Limited to versions I either own or are familiar with. Wish I had that Oscar album that this one comes from (which gets my vote just over Bill - whose version is almost taking off from OP's).

Not a tonne of variation between some of these versions, but any other versions you can think of, please share!

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 26 Jun 2012 at 9:30am
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic