JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

JMA Top 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JMA Top 5
    Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 11:14am
Just an observation, really - but I just noticed for what might be the first time in about 10 months, that HH's 'Crossings' has been knocked off the top 5.

Again, not mentioning this because I'm freaked out, but it's interesting to see the top 5 change a little - and I'm pretty excited to see Mingus creep in again

In a Silent Way Classic Fusion
MILES DAVIS
Buy this album from our partners
Kind of Blue Cool Jazz
MILES DAVIS
Milestones Hard Bop
MILES DAVIS
A Love Supreme Post Bop
JOHN COLTRANE
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady Post Bop
CHARLES MINGUS

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 02 Jun 2012 at 11:17am
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 3:57pm
Wow. Surprised to see Milestones in there.

And yes...good to see some Mingus up there.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:05pm
wow Herbie got knocked out. Miles Davis deserves to have 3 of his own albums in the top spots (I didn't even look at the top 10), but it'd be nice if it was spread out more. But then again, lists like this are usually for newbies, so exposure to Miles' music usually leads to more jazz. And who better to than Miles as your first jazz experience?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:11pm
Ratings are over rated. Ermm 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:21pm
Agreed.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:38pm
Well 2 of those are my 2 favourite jazz albums of all time, so I'm not exactly discontent with it.  There is a lot of Miles I prefer over those other selections, but they are still very good (obviously)
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

wow Herbie got knocked out. Miles Davis deserves to have 3 of his own albums in the top spots (I didn't even look at the top 10), but it'd be nice if it was spread out more. But then again, lists like this are usually for newbies, so exposure to Miles' music usually leads to more jazz. And who better to than Miles as your first jazz experience?

True indeed, Miles is a pretty awesome starting place, absolutely. If someone utterly new to jazz sees the the Top5/Top10 at any stage and it's got some Miles in it, they're gonna be on the right track.

Yeah, Herbie was at 6 last night, so still hovering.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Wow. Surprised to see Milestones in there.

And yes...good to see some Mingus up there.

I was a little too - I like the album and it's important in the development of the modal approach, but I didn't expect it the way I expect KOB to be there

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Well 2 of those are my 2 favourite jazz albums of all time, so I'm not exactly discontent with it.  There is a lot of Miles I prefer over those other selections, but they are still very good (obviously)

What's your second? (Assuming teh first is Mingus)
Reviews...
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 1:19am
A Love Supreme
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 1:48am
^ ah, of course - another monster of an album.  Smile
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 1:52am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Sometimes Miles may be too much for a first experience, it took me many years and hundreds of hours of jazz listening to start digging  Miles Smile
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 2:02am
^ Yeah? I'm curious, which Miles ones did you start with? Mine were KOB, Round About Midnight, so some of his more accessible ones etc  I imagine getting something else to start with would be different
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 2:45am
KOB, one of my first jazz purchases
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 3:03am
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

KOB, one of my first jazz purchases

Cool, can you remember what it was like to listen to the first time?

I remember being instantly being 'soothed' I guess and think that despite the rhythm section seeming to be 'unchanging' (I was young and used to more overtly shifting rhythm sections of other genres) I was instantly drawn in to the tone of the sax and trumpet
Reviews...
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 4:52am
I was 'blocked', I found it too 'heavy' for me,even today it's not on my top 10 or even 20.At that time I enjoyed Bill Evans, Ben Webster, Dave Brubeck , EST
Ken Burns
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

A Love Supreme

Biiiingoooo!!!

And I personally thing Gil Evans' Sketches Of Spain (not really a Miles albumWink) should also be in the top 5
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

MilesBeyond View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesBeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:31pm
IASW is one of those albums I've never appreciated as much as other people seem to... I love it, without a doubt, but I don't seem to have the same passion for it a lot of other jazzers do. When I want electric Miles, I usually end up reaching for Bitches Brew. 
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:40pm
^ I think "In The Sky" and "Kilimanjaro" to be indispensable to study these a series of situation likewise. A thought and the expression that Miles went before to enter into in the 70s are very remarkable with these albums. I feel that these are not at all incompletions to BB album.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

^ I think "In The Sky" and "Kilimanjaro" to be indispensable to study these a series of situation likewise. A thought and the expression that Miles went before to enter into in the 70s are very remarkable with these albums. I feel that these are not at all incompletions to BB album.

I tend to slide in Miles In The Sky between Kilimandjaro and IASW, in Miles' electric progression

As the artwork hints, it's got a certain kind psych quality to it, that brings it rather close to BB

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

I tend to slide in Miles In The Sky between Kilimandjaro and IASW, in Miles' electric progression

As the artwork hints, it's got a certain kind psych quality to it, that brings it rather close to BB

I think Miles to have always found new music. And it is a fact to have recognized the musician such as Jimi and Sly equally. Probably he would take all in. Album art of In The Sky. As for the contest by George Benson and Keith Jarrett likewise. It would be thrown all open by the filter which lasted of Miles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic