JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums with a lot of Rhoades piano/electric piano
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Albums with a lot of Rhoades piano/electric piano

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums with a lot of Rhoades piano/electric piano
    Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 1:53pm
Listening to the album, "Light As A Feather" by Return to Forever, I'm curious to see if there are any albums that are heavy on the Rhoades piano or electric piano that maybe I'm missing. I have and know a lot, but I'm sure I haven't heard everything.

So anyway, starting with this. I love the sound of Chick Corea's e-piano here, probably the best tone he had was on this album.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 2:09pm
The Canterbury Scene is full of electric piano mixed with distorted organ. Hatfield, Cos, Soft Machine, National Health..

BadBadNotGood is a trio of electric piano, drums and bass, but that you must have already heard from me hehe.

The Bill Evans Album is splendid, changing from piano to electric piano throughout.

Ahmad Jamal's Effendi and Outertimeinnerspace do the same as Evans' album.

Erik Truffaz's Face a Face is FULL of Rhodes.

Calling Out Loud by Nat Adderely is a nice post-bop album with Zawinul on Rhodes.

Talk to the People by Les McCann has great grooves on electric piano, and some smooth stuff as well.

Oh and I just remembered the fabulous Fancy Free by Donald Byrd.

Edited by Abraxas - 01 Jun 2012 at 3:00pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:47pm
My favorite Rhodes player is Herbie Hancock, I think he was one of the first to recognize that is was a unique and different instrument from the piano and started approaching it that way. Let me find a clip for "Butterfly" and I will post it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 5:48pm
Here it is, one of my all-time favorite Rhodes solos.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 6:13pm
Some great Rhodes playing on this Ponty album from George Duke. This is not the Ponty you are used to you, this is early in his career and the music is hard bop/fusion/AG, very intense, great stuff.

Edited by js - 01 Jun 2012 at 6:13pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 6:34pm
More from George Duke on this Cannonball Adderley album.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:17pm
I agree that Herbie Hancock was the master of Rhoades piano. George Duke and Chick Corea did some great stuff too.

A lot of the great stuff came out in the 60s and 70s, anything from the 80s onward is hard to find, at least with that vintage e-piano sound. I don't like Corea's 80s/90s sound when it comes to that particular sound, sounds too digital.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:24pm
After the 80s its mostly the DJs and the acid jazz bands that kept the Rhodes alive. These days you can get digital copies that sound just like the real thing, plus the real thing is back by popular demand too.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:28pm
Do you any good modern albums where the rhoades are very present?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:30pm
Oh yeah, there's quite a few, let me think about it and get back to you.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:33pm
If you like that Holdsworth style of jazz, Pasqua is good on this one, he's playing a digital copy that sounds good, hold on and I'll be back with a real Rhodes.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:37pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

If you like that Holdsworth style of jazz, Pasqua is good on this one, he's playing a digital copy that sounds good, hold on and I'll be back with a real Rhodes.

That looks good. Is it like a mix between Tony Williams Lifetime and Holdsworth's live album "All Night Wrong" who also features Chad Wackerman on drums?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:39pm
I know there is more, I'll have to get back later when I think of them.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:43pm
No problem John. You've given me a lot of info already. Let's see if other people can chime in (otherwise, bring on more albums). Smile
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

No problem John. You've given me a lot of info already. Let's see if other people can chime in (otherwise, bring on more albums). Smile

Did you listen to the Erik Truffaz sample I posted? That live album (Face a Face) is seriously kick-ass with original Rhodes, repleted with wah-wah. 
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 2:14am

Led Bib?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 3:37pm
John, I read your review of George Duke - "Faces In Reflection".
I thought it was a smooth record, but it seems it's classic fusion like
his album "Reach For It", yes?

I suspect this album has a lot of rhoades piano?
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

Did you listen to the Erik Truffaz sample I posted? That live album (Face a Face) is seriously kick-ass with original Rhodes, repleted with wah-wah. 

No, sorry. I will, as this thread ain't going anywhere any time soon Wink. I will check those out sometime in the next day or two.

Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Led Bib?

what's that?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 8:33am
Live - Donny Hathaway
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic