JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me to indentify these tunes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me to indentify these tunes...
    Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 4:36am
Hi to everyone!

My name is Carlos, and I'm from Spain. I'm a big fan of Laurel and Hardy movies, and I'm here because I need your help...
I have been trying for years to identify a music that sounds in some Laurel and Hardy movies dubbed versions. This music was used in all the spanish versions of the Laurel and Hardy and Our Gang movies dubbed during the 60's (And is not the original music by Leroy Shield) so it has to be a recording made before 1970. The tunes sounds almost always in the same order, so I think they should be in that order in the original recording.
Here you have one of the shorts with that music:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrTxZnIjQw

You can hear a good fragment at 2:23, but the music sounds during all the short.

I would be wonderful if you can help me as this has been a mistery for me during years...

Thanks a lot!

Carlos
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 5:39am
With the prominent trumpet and the time period of the piece, I was thinking Louie Armstrong, also, I was wondering if this was more recent musicians imitating 1920s jazz.
There is another site member who knows this sort of music better than me, maybe he will know.
Stanlio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 5:58am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

With the prominent trumpet and the time period of the piece, I was thinking Louie Armstrong, also, I was wondering if this was more recent musicians imitating 1920s jazz.
There is another site member who knows this sort of music better than me, maybe he will know.

Thanks for your response! Yes, I also think it's a more recent recording, not a 20's one. I have watched the original 35mm copies, and the quality of the music is quite good, so it doesn't seems a so old recording.

Let's see if someone else can help...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 3:59pm
Sorry Carlos but no luck, I also used the the beginning of the track as it easier to pick up (30 seconds into clip) I can tell you it's not Jelly Roll Morton and did not pick it up on Armstrong's Hot Five or Sevens. 
Matt
Stanlio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 5:58pm
It's sad to see that nobody can help me.
Here you have another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDPK2S-GM9E&t=752s

From 5:23 on, there is another one fragment, and I think a different part of the recording.

Any idea, maybe about the name of the pieces?
Stanlio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:25pm
I think that the piece that sound here at 12:10 is quite popular in other versions... Any idea of the title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Yms9ze7EY&t=591s

Thanks!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
^ That does sound familiar, but i am wondering if this is actually original music written to sound like older music. In which case these tunes would only exist on this soundtrack only. The recordings do not sound like they are from the 20s or 30s.
Stanlio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Stanlio Stanlio wrote:

I think that the piece that sound here at 12:10 is quite popular in other versions... Any idea of the title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Yms9ze7EY&t=591s

Thanks!

I know H have heard this one in other place (I can't remember where!), and it was a different version, so that means this is a version, and I don't think they prepare this for these dubbings (they never do that).
I think it's a band from before 1963 (year of the first dubbing), playing old pieces.

Maybe if we find the title of this piece, I can see which dics where released in those years including that theme in Spain. But I need the title of the piece.
Stanlio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:59pm
Ok!! I have found something the piece in the last fragment is "Memphis Blues", and you can heard here a version by Johnny Maddox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NexMw1Xgrhc

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:26pm
^ You are right about that one.
Did you know there is a phone app you can get that recognizes tunes, also I think Shazam web site can do this as well.
Stanlio View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanlio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ You are right about that one.
Did you know there is a phone app you can get that recognizes tunes, also I think Shazam web site can do this as well.

Yes I know it, i tried them before posting here but without any success. I have identified another fragment in other movie as "San" by Walter Michels and Lindsay McPhail.

The problem is that I can't find a disc with both songs together. I'm starting to think that maybe this is a european band or library covers for use in dubbings...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:53pm
^ They do sound like library covers to me too, the arrangements and solos are not very ornate.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 8:17am
This thread has been moved to Featured Albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic