JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Souljazz and Jazzfunk Fanatics Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Souljazz and Jazzfunk Fanatics Needed
    Posted: 24 May 2012 at 6:50am
I'm looking for some obscure gems within this realm I've exhausted all the Prestige and Grover Washington and O'donel Levy records I can. I need some unknown, unheard of James Mason type albums. Anyone brave enough to recommend?

Edited by Rokukai - 24 May 2012 at 11:23am
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:01am
Hi Rokukai, welcome to the site

I'm afraid I can't do much in terms of truly obscure, though one that is perhaps sometimes overlooked at least, is 'Skull Snaps'  - a pretty good funk/soul/RnB album. Not really like James Mason, but definitely soul-ish, but I'm betting you've heard of them anyway Smile
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:58am
A big part of my reviews are on funk-jazz and soul-jazz music. I'm not sure how obscure you are looking for. Most really obscure stuff is on compilations these days put out by acid jazz labels etc.
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:30am
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the recommendation. I've heard those guys from a blaxploit compile. I think they have a full lp, right?

Anyway, we are on the right track....obscure, beat oriented music from the seventies, jazz you can dance to...speaking of blaxploit compilations, the one i have with the skullsnaps has a killer jazzfunk song "Like a Thief in the Night" from a musician Mike Longo. It's the only song I could find with his name on it and it was his only performance credit on AMG. Does anyone know anything about him?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 11:50am
I'm not familiar with Mike Longo, but I do collect soul jazz, funk jazz, acid jazz, trip-hop, blaxploitation, crime-jazz etc
You may also be interested in Italian soundtracks, here is my review of a I Marc 4 collection on this site:

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:05pm
Here is a rare psychedelic soul-rock album I found in a thrift store, a DJ would kill to get their hands on this:

Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:03pm
THAT is what I am looking for. Wow that is ultra obscure and looks right up my alley. Thanks.
I did a bit of research after you sent me the Africa link, and I saw it listed as "Various Artists" referring, I suppose, to the different members of the Valiants who perform the songs on the album. Anyways that's a super find, if you have anything else like that send it over, that's the glory of these encyclysites!
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:06pm
What is the best Italian soundtrack music?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Rokukai Rokukai wrote:

What is the best Italian soundtrack music?

I don't know which is the best, but that entire Loungissima series is good.

Edited by js - 24 May 2012 at 2:12pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 2:11pm
This is not real rare, but if you do not know this one, you must check it out, one-of-a-kind electro lounge funk from Eddie Harris:

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:07pm
A mix of more well known stuff, and not-so-well known stuff, in no particular order:

Herbie Hancock
Soulive
Lettuce
Steve Jenkins
The JBs
The Greyboy All-stars
Orgone
The Headhunters
John Scofield
Eddie Henderson
Freddie Hubbard

Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 7:32pm
Excellent suggestions. Steve Jenkins, I'll have to look him up
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:49pm
I have an album of Mighty Ryeders. A good jazz funk. Or in the case of music such as James Mason. The example that Sun Goddess of Ramsey Lewis is plain.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 8:50pm

Excellent suggestions. Steve Jenkins, I'll have to look him up

Google "Steve Jenkins bass"

He has an album that's called "mad science"
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:45pm
I found a great one...Tarika bluehttp://allmusic.com/artist/tarika-blue-p543631
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 9:51pm
Might Ryeders, I'm going to have to try them. They seem to be right along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Ramsey Lewis, that's a great great album...
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 10:09pm

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the recommendation. I've heard those guys from a blaxploit compile. I think they have a full lp, right?
Yeah, for sure, here's a link to our page for the album Smile
Not a 5 star album for me, but still like it a lot

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 3:05am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:17pm
For those interested, jazz-funk band Lettuce will be releasing a new album "Fly" on June 5

http://lettucefunk.com/fly-out-on-june-5/
Rokukai View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokukai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 9:07pm
Really looking forward to that release....Lettuce is one of the best of their kind out there....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic