Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 6:47am
Terje Rypdal new (live) album (two long compositions)for ECM with Hilliard Ensemble and two orchestras is monumental as his some previous (live) releases were. Some great moments, but differently from what he recorded before this work is very serious .... and bombastic. Combination of monumental and bombastic some decades ago destroyed such a great band as Emerson Lake and Palmer at their very early stage...

Melodic Warrior

listen here:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/terje-rypdal--mp3.aspx?id=3243

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:32am
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chozal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 12:34pm
ECM was the first jazz label I heard of when I found randomly a cd called Selected Signs I - An ECM Anthology. Here is the tracklist :

Svantetic (from: Litania, Tomasz Stanko Septet)
Gorrión (from: Cité de la Musique, Dino Saluzzi)
Morning (from: North Story, Mish Alperin)
Tale Of Saverio (from: ANA, Ralph Towner)
Hyperborean / Patch Of Light (from: Hyperborean, Arild Andersen)
Morning Heavy Song (from: Leosia, Tomasz Stanko)
Creature Talk (from: Small Labyrinths, Marilyn Mazur's Future Song)
Desolation Sound (from: Canto, Charles Lloyd)
Motherless Child (from: In Full Cry, Joe Maneri Quartet)
Past Present (from: Angel Song, Kenny Wheeler)
Siegfried And Roy (from: Circa, Michael Cain Trio)
Free Above Sea (from: Oneness, Jack DeJohnette)
Sleep Safe And Warm (from: Litania, Tomasz stanko Septet)
Nothing Ever Was, Anyway (from: Nothing Ever Was, Anyway. Music Of Annette Peackok, Marilyn Crispell / Gary Peacock / Paul Motian)

I do listen to it from time to time, will browse that topic more attentively for interesting releases that people noticed :3
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 12:39pm
Komeda's Svantetic is Polish modern jazz composition no.1: I prefer Komeda's original to Stanko's version though

and I see - there are lot of Stanko's tracks on this ECM compilation, he was for years (and most probably still is) one of ECM leading artists

Edited by snobb - 03 Jul 2013 at 12:40pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 9:37am
I know bassist Steve Swallow mostly by his regular collaboration with Carla Bley. On this Steve's solo album she plays some organ as well. Well-balanced very slightly melancholic mid-tempo straightforward jazz,not too complex to require all listener's concentration and not too sweet or light to be just sound wallpaper. Even has few adventurous moments. Seriously warmer sound than your regular ECM release.
Carla and Steve have long European tour this year so if you like that music you can take your chance to see/hear them live.

Steve Swallow Quintet, Into The Woodwork

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 24 Jul 2013 at 9:39am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I know bassist Steve Swallow mostly by his regular collaboration with Carla Bley. On this Steve's solo album she plays some organ as well. Well-balanced very slightly melancholic mid-tempo straightforward jazz,not too complex to require all listener's concentration and not too sweet or light to be just sound wallpaper. Even has few adventurous moments. Seriously warmer sound than your regular ECM release.
Carla and Steve have long European tour this year so if you like that music you can take your chance to see/hear them live.

Steve Swallow Quintet, Into The Woodwork

listen here:

nice album
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:06pm
Popular Italian pianist Stefano Bollani duo with Brazilian bandolim (a 10-string mandolin) player Hamilton de Holanda on ECM - unusually warm chamber Latin jazz, close to DiMeola's World Sinfonia recordings. Not too passionate, slightly melancholic and with touch of Italian classicism - nothing really new,but nice album for fans of such kind of music.
Stefano Bollani and Hamilton de Holanda: O Que Sera  

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 12 Sep 2013 at 1:07pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:46pm

Popular Italian pianist Stefano Bollani duo with Brazilian bandolim (a 10-string mandolin) player Hamilton de Holanda on ECM - unusually warm chamber Latin jazz, close to DiMeola's World Sinfonia recordings. Not too passionate, slightly melancholic and with touch of Italian classicism - nothing really new,but nice album for fans of such kind of music.
Stefano Bollani and Hamilton de Holanda: O Que Sera  

listen here:

I like melancholic music but I find this album a bit bland...
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 9:59am
Releasing acoustic guitar trio album containing mix of classic,world and jazz one must be ready this work will be compared with DiMeola/McLaughlin/DeLucia legendary album. On "Travel Guide" Ralph Towner plays with Austrian guitarist Wolfgang Muthspiel and Kazakhstan-born Australia-based classical guitarist (of Armenian descent) Slava Grigoryan. Unfortunately the result is not of usual ECM standard. All compositions are Towner/Munthiespel originals, and the material is not enough strong to attract listener for another acoustic guitars trio album. Musicianship is ok,but again far from original or extremely virtuoso's. In all album represents quite boring and un-memorable music between chamber  and easy listening.

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:33am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 5:29am
Safe,moody and "pro" ECM veteran John Abercrombie album  "39 Steps". Slow/mid tempo American chamber jazz - with groove and jazz roots what is really better of its life-less European version. Great quartet - pianist Marc Copland and advanced rhythm section (bassist Drew Gress and drummer Joey Baron). More conservative than you can expect from such team, but very professional, great music for mainstream post bop fans.

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 29 May 2015 at 3:33am
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 11:48am
Wow, it's been so long since I've added and ECM album I had to look it up - 2011.  This is all John Zorn's fault. LOL  I am overdue, don't you think?  My last one was Bjornstad/Darling/Rypdal/Christensen The Sea
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Wow, it's been so long since I've added and ECM album I had to look it up - 2011.  This is all John Zorn's fault. LOL  I am overdue, don't you think?  My last one was Bjornstad/Darling/Rypdal/Christensen The Sea

my "Zorn's period" was much longer ....Embarrassed LOL
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 2:54pm
American pianist Aaron Parks debut on ECM is downtempo chamber piano ballads collection, dreamy and warmer than you can expect from ECM regular release.

Edited by snobb - 17 Oct 2013 at 3:05am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:05am
I really waited for this second Tim Berne album on ECM. His ECM debut was interesting balance between his (NY-kind) spontaneity and freedom and ECM chamber tradition. This second one, recorded in NY and produced not by ECM head Manfred Eicher ( godfather of so-called "ECM-sound") but by David Torn and Berne himself  is another step towards synthesis of two above mentioned elements. From my very first listening it looks Berne succeed here even more - compositions are more detailed and pre-composed, the sound is almost as coming from Berne's live recordings, and all mix leaves chamber music impression, as on best ECM albums.In all cases, being real ECM product this music sounds much more adventurous and raw than we expect from current ECM recordings.

Edited by snobb - 17 Oct 2013 at 3:04am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:03am
American trumpeter Ralph Alessi debut on ECM is great example of what is label's current front line: adventurous enough,with American jazz tradition,music for being not too boring and still safe enough for being enough comfortable for regular ECM chamber sound lovers. Highest level line-up with pianist Jason Moran, bassist Drew Gress and drummer Nasheet Waits

Ralph Alessi: Baida

Edited by snobb - 17 Oct 2013 at 3:09am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 2:04pm
Keith Jarrett new solo album is a strange one, he already had similar one at the very beginning of his musical career though (in 1968). Differently from his endless solo piano albums, "No End" is the album where he plays guitars,bass, keys,drums,etc, and the result is over-layered. Recorded in 1986, this music stylistically represents kind of fusion - with leading guitars and sometimes bass. 

Jarrett never was a fusion artist and he never was great guitarist as well. So final result is as you can expect - homemade tapes of some tunes blueprints,recorded on the level of semi-pro demo. It's difficult to understand why all these materials needed to be released after so many years and in a form of double CD!?For completists only

listen here:

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 4:34am
ECM opens the year 2014 with traditional for them chamber jazz release, Norwegian pianist Tord Gustavsen Quartet's "Extended Circle". Full of European classical tradition Nordic (minimalistic) chamber jazz. Compositions are mostly down tempo, but there are few more energetic numbers as well. Safe but quality chamber jazz (wonder if they can still make money from such releases?)

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 24 Jan 2014 at 5:04am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2014 at 2:14pm

ECM opens the yaer 2014 with traditional for them chamber jazz release, Norwegian pianist Tord Gustavsen Quartet's "Extended Circle". Full of European classical tradition Nordic (minimalistic) chamber jazz. Compositions are mostly down tempo, but there are few more energetic number as well. Safe but quality chamber jazz (wonder if they can still make money from such releases?)

listen here:

while being a bit more jazzy and energetic than his previous releases, for me it also lacks some of their ethereal beauty 
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 12:51pm
Norwegian acoustic bassist Arild Andersen at the very beginning of his musical career played with Jan Garbarek on ECM-sound founding early Garbarek's albums. Andersen solo albums (usually ECM products as well) are as rule better structured,tunes-based pleasant Nordic-folk based contemporary jazz.

On Mira with his new trio (they already released live album on ECM few years ago ) Andersen returns to sound, close to early Garbarek's music  -  improvisational down-tempo Nordic-folk based compositions. Less polished but hardly more inspired than his regular music though. For ECM sound fans.

Arild Andersen  (geb. 1945): Mira, CD

listen here:

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 8:56am
One among most interesting US jazz pianist of younger generation Vijay Iyer started his musical career playing adventurous avant-garde jazz, later continued with more accessible contemporary jazz. So his debut on ECM looks quite logical step, main surprise here is that his "Mutations" contain mostly classic compositions, from baroque-influenced to modern European-like, almost no traces of jazz could be found. Supported by strings quartet

Mutations

listen here:

Edited by snobb - 06 Feb 2014 at 9:02am
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 2:28pm

One among most interesting US jazz pianist of younger generation Vijay Iyer started his musical career playing adventurous avant-garde jazz, later continued with more accessible contemporary jazz. So his debut on ECM looks quite logical step, main surprise here is that his "Mutations" contain mostly classic compositions, from baroque-influenced to modern European-like, almost no traces of jazz could be found. Supported by strings quartet

Mutations

listen here:

For me it is another disappointment from an artist from which I have great expectations.
Ken Burns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic