JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ECM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standavisjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:37am
I love ECM! I just posted a thread about Steve Kuhn's upcoming concert at the Triad Theatre in NYC on May 27th.  Any ECM fans going?

Here is the link to buy discounted advance tickets:
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/171424

Friday, May 27th
Triad Theatre
158 West 72nd St, New York, NY
Double performance, featuring:
Steve Kuhn (solo piano) 
Daniel Bennett Group 
"Peace and Stability Among Bears" CD Release Concert!

Visit 
www.triadnyc.com
Purchase Tickets HERE!
9:30pm (doors open at 9pm)
$20 in advance ($25 at the door)

(New York, NY) The Triad Theatre (
www.triadnyc.com) hosts a double bill performance, featuring a solo set by legendary jazz pianist Steve Kuhn (www.stevekuhnmusic.com), and a set by the Daniel Bennett Group, led by NYC "Folk-Jazz" saxophonist Daniel Bennett (www.danielbennettgroup.com). Friday, May 27th at 9:30pm (doors open at 9pm). Call 212-362-2590 or visit www.triadnyc.com. All ages. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. All advance tickets MUST be purchased at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/171424

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:46am
That would be a long subway ride from Memphis Wink

Welcome to the site! 
Standavisjazz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standavisjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:34am
Ha!  Yeah, I guess you're right.

Here is Daniel Bennett's music... AMAZING!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:06am
Very nice, looks like we need to get him added to the site. 
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Standavisjazz Standavisjazz wrote:

Ha!  Yeah, I guess you're right.

Here is Daniel Bennett's music... AMAZING!

Interesting video!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standavisjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 2:50pm
Yeah, it's like paul desmond meets bill frisell (with a little Philip Glass)...

www.danielbennettgroup.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standavisjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 2:50pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:09pm
He's been approved for addition, but there will be a delay until we start working with the new musicbrainz system.
toitoi2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toitoi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:16am

one of my best ecm cds

Ralph Towner's Batik (1977)
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:29am
I like this composition! Ralph Towner is great! I prefer Oregon's version.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 6:45am
Second interesting ECM release this year  - Marilyn Mazur " Celestial Circle". Marilyn Mazur is US-born Denmark-based percussionist (she played with Miles Davis shortly and 14 yrs was Jan Garbarek band's member). Her all solo albums are different, from progressive big band to world fusion, "Celestial Circle" is intelligent aerial Nordic avant-garde jazz vocals album - quite accessible and different from standard ECM polished world fusion or stereotype contemporary jazz. 

First one was Iro Haarla's "Vespers"

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 7:05am
I'll check it.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 11:01am

Another 2011  release I find interesting

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I think ECM deserves a seperate topic , actually I kind of expected to see an ECM subgenre
Anyway, some like it and some hate it.
Personally I try to sample almost everything that comes out on ECM and which is even slightly related to jazz.

Agreed and then some.

Sadly, for most music and jazz listeners, ECM mixes and matches and experiments way too much for the commercial jazz listener of today that pretty much is only tuned to the Blue Note or to the simplicity of some of the stuff that is often called "housewife jazz" in some of the "cool" FM stations.

While I would never criticize Blue Note and all that jazz that lived before the film studios killed it, I do think that the soft jazz and half baked jazz that most people tend to hear on the radio is not even close or indicative of what the description of the music is about, and ECM has been a total breath of fresh air, and it has never been afraid to try and do things that are totally out of the ordinary and different ... and in the middle you get some amazing things that would never get heard or released in America, because of the top ten design of things.

I have some favorites, but in the end, I have to tell you that I have never heard a single ECM album that was bad or I did not like ... though I will admit that some of the early Jan Garbarek used to send shivers up my spine ... that was jazz in its purest form and definition ... although we might disagree and often defy that description in lieu of some idealistic concept as to what jazz really is ... sort of like the sister board, that identifies "progressive music" with a non-definition that has nothing to do with music whatsoever, or the time, or the place, that it came from.

So after all that ... here are some things that I still listen to, and as I said before, I do not listen to "styles" ... I listen to music, meaning that I close my eyes and I fly away with it, and I don't care what it is supposed to be ... music is here for us all to fly and be free, not to be slaves to a social definition for everything.

Egberto Gismonti
Terje Rypdal
David Darling
Jan Garbarek
Pat Metheny
Keith Jarrett (the best piano player in the part 75 years, second to none!)
Eberhard Weber
Charlie Haden
Ralph Towner
John Abercrombie
Shankar
_____________ Khan (sorry, can never remember this name)

In the end, a lot of this stuff is considered "jazz" because it is nearly impossible to classify, but it is outstanding for my ear to hear eastern folks mixing with western folks and do music, regardless of what it is called.

The word "jazz" in America came about mostly because it needed to differentiate itself from more commercial, music that radio was offering you, augmented by many movie stars also singing, which kinda ended the beginning of the music recordings in America, almost all of which were the jazz and blues folks, who lost all of their voice in one swell foop. but the term survived, and described an attitude, a lot more than the music itself, and it wasn't until later that it developed into the behemoth that it is today ... so well separated from the rest of the music with its labels today that everyone has no excuse to not find something.

And thank you ... I have always thought that no label in music, has ever been so adventurous and so caring to so many artists, and the amount of music it has provided for 40 years is down right insane, and still to this day, few people can sit here and say ... ECM is about jazz ... because in the end ... ECM is about music and jazz is just one side of it.

And finally ... I wonder if someone did this for me, to get me here ... because in the sister board I was passionate about this label, and still think that it is the best music label ever ... and they have been at it 40 plus years ... which the majority of labels never do or have! You have to love the music itself to do that ...

Edited by Moshkito - 15 Aug 2011 at 7:54pm
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

I believe the point of view on such music depends more on personal taste LOL.

Somewhere along the line, we're going to have to agree and disagree and give each other the ability and right to disagree ... and hten come together so we can have a very good definition, idea, and history of the art form.

Without that ability, our very own "personal taste" amounts to nothing but another bar-room drink and discussion that has very little value, and since we tend to not discuss the arts as they used to in the old Paris cafe's that were famous fro creating more than one artistic scene, and we could do the same thing here ... just like the sister board could do with the other music by killing it for the listeners right at the front door!

But I think it is fair to say that mixing things, and doing something different is what ECM is about and has been for 40 years, and that is not something that Blue Note or any other jazz label could ever say about their music.

Now, for you or I to say I like this but not that, or the mix of this and that is weird, yes it might be a strange mix, and what not, but sometimes that is what it takes to help spread the music and find new realms of expression and in that sense, there is no such thing as bad, or "personal taste".

You and I can put on "Eventyr" by Jan Garbarek and immediately we will say ... that's not jazz ... or we can put on Terje's and David's "Eos" and we will say ... that's not jazz ... but you and I can not sit here and say ... that's not far out music. One is more into the Ambient or World sound of things (Garbarek's) whereas the other is the best Chamber Concert set of pieces you will ever hear for Electric Guitar ... and it's beautiful and one of the finest things ever done in a guitar! And something that I really believe that folks like Jimi Hendrix would have loved to do and try, if he were not so tied up to the drugs and fame!

Edited by Moshkito - 15 Aug 2011 at 7:51pm
Moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 7:48pm
Hi,

BTW, the mention of jazz history and the recording came from the special DVD on Tom Dowd ... if you have never heard of it, or seen it, it will be one of the greatest lessons in music history in America that you will ever hear about and see it explained. That same man, had an amazing ear for music and captured one of rock music's enduring and bautiful duets ever, but you can see in the end, that it was his ear for music and ability that caught it in the first place, because if you don't have the ear and the love for the feel and the music ITSELF it doesn't matter what it is or what it becomes ... it will never have that special secret feeling that makes us all slaves to its beauty!

The side effect? ... you're not gonna like a lot of movies right off the bat!

Edited by Moshkito - 15 Aug 2011 at 7:50pm
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 2:59am
Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

I think ECM deserves a seperate topic , actually I kind of expected to see an ECM subgenre
Anyway, some like it and some hate it.
Personally I try to sample almost everything that comes out on ECM and which is even slightly related to jazz.

Agreed and then some.

Sadly, for most music and jazz listeners, ECM mixes and matches and experiments way too much for the commercial jazz listener of today that pretty much is only tuned to the Blue Note or to the simplicity of some of the stuff that is often called "housewife jazz" in some of the "cool" FM stations.

While I would never criticize Blue Note and all that jazz that lived before the film studios killed it, I do think that the soft jazz and half baked jazz that most people tend to hear on the radio is not even close or indicative of what the description of the music is about, and ECM has been a total breath of fresh air, and it has never been afraid to try and do things that are totally out of the ordinary and different ... and in the middle you get some amazing things that would never get heard or released in America, because of the top ten design of things.

I have some favorites, but in the end, I have to tell you that I have never heard a single ECM album that was bad or I did not like ... though I will admit that some of the early Jan Garbarek used to send shivers up my spine ... that was jazz in its purest form and definition ... although we might disagree and often defy that description in lieu of some idealistic concept as to what jazz really is ... sort of like the sister board, that identifies "progressive music" with a non-definition that has nothing to do with music whatsoever, or the time, or the place, that it came from.

So after all that ... here are some things that I still listen to, and as I said before, I do not listen to "styles" ... I listen to music, meaning that I close my eyes and I fly away with it, and I don't care what it is supposed to be ... music is here for us all to fly and be free, not to be slaves to a social definition for everything.

_STEVE Khan (sorry, can never remember this name) I believe

In the end, a lot of this stuff is considered "jazz" because it is nearly impossible to classify, but it is outstanding for my ear to hear eastern folks mixing with western folks and do music, regardless of what it is called.

The word "jazz" in America came about mostly because it needed to differentiate itself from more commercial, music that radio was offering you, augmented by many movie stars also singing, which kinda ended the beginning of the music recordings in America, almost all of which were the jazz and blues folks, who lost all of their voice in one swell foop. but the term survived, and described an attitude, a lot more than the music itself, and it wasn't until later that it developed into the behemoth that it is today ... so well separated from the rest of the music with its labels today that everyone has no excuse to not find something.

And thank you ... I have always thought that no label in music, has ever been so adventurous and so caring to so many artists, and the amount of music it has provided for 40 years is down right insane, and still to this day, few people can sit here and say ... ECM is about jazz ... because in the end ... ECM is about music and jazz is just one side of it.

And finally ... I wonder if someone did this for me, to get me here ... because in the sister board I was passionate about this label, and still think that it is the best music label ever ... and they have been at it 40 plus years ... which the majority of labels never do or have! You have to love the music itself to do that ...

It kind of depends on your outlook, really!!! Although i'm not all that big on BN jazz, finding often to smooth and standard for my tastes (and they reliuctantly dipped their toes in JR/F well after the other labels did and retracted ASAP), I'd say it's somewhat less commercial than most of ECM's bigger sellers, which often comes close to elevator and new age music... Indeed a lot of Metheny or Abercrombie are close to being ultra-commercial for a certain crowd of fans.

True enough that ECM also specializes in musical adventures, taking risks for small unknown artistes to release some albums, but you can rarely call it experimental or avant-garde, right?

Mmmmm!!!... the word jazz was the slang for Black ex-slaves community for fu*king, which used it for their music (getting women in the mood by dancing)

l
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

True enough that ECM also specializes in musical adventures, taking risks for small unknown artistes to release some albums, but you can rarely call it experimental or avant-garde, right?
  l

I don't have any statistics but thisyear they released at least 2 albums which belong to the AG/experimental category

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 6:48am

Thumbs Up

Ken Burns
Eetu Pellonpää View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eetu Pellonpää Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 8:07pm
Have personally liked the ethreal style in ECM's catalogue line. Read an interview of Manfred Eicher from the local paper once, and he told that the moods from foggy surroundings of big lakes he spent his childhood would have created vision for him to the label's style. In addition of jazz, I appreciate their adventures to classical music, releasing the major part of Georgian Giya Katcheli's repertoire. From the jazz artists Ralph Towner has grewn as my own personal top favourite.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic